cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2008, 12:43 AM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I'm not the one to ask when it comes to chapter and verse. I wouldn't be surprised if it's more cultural bullshit, either. However, I was clearly and repeatedly taught that men require a faithful and righteous spouse in order to receive the highest level of glory, whereas women are not required to marry, at least in this life.
I doubt that's what you were "clearly and repeatedly" taught, because that's a false doctrine. The ordinance is required for exaltation no matter what gender you are. Whether or not you receive it in this life is likewise not gender dependent.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:00 AM   #12
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So let's assume, for sake of argument, that there are 4 million adult Mormons, and the breakdown is the percentages above (really you would expect the breakdown to be MORE stark, because you think the kids would be about 50/50 male/female).

That means there are 1,760,000 men. 2,240,000 women.

Let's say every man is married to one woman. That leaves 480,000 of the women that are not married to a Mormon male. That means that 21% of the adult females are not married to a Mormon male (single, married to nonmember, widowed, divorced).

Pew's sample is the issue here.

I'm completely blown away that only the JWs and the historically black protestants have lower percentage of males.

I find it funny that the active men who attend meetings are the ones who get beat up all the time and told they are no good.
480,000 women. What do people think? Do these women occupy 90% of bishops' time church wide or is it 95%?
Old 02-27-2008, 02:19 AM   #13
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I doubt that's what you were "clearly and repeatedly" taught, because that's a false doctrine. The ordinance is required for exaltation no matter what gender you are. Whether or not you receive it in this life is likewise not gender dependent.
I have to back woot on this one. I remember being taught in seminary that men must get married in this life (or die trying), but it was okay for women to marry in the next life. Men have the sole responsibility of pursuit.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:26 AM   #14
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Don't speak too soon -- remember what you learned about the Mel. Priesthood holder praying before the woman in sacrament mtg.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:20 AM   #15
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I have to back woot on this one. I remember being taught in seminary that men must get married in this life (or die trying), but it was okay for women to marry in the next life. Men have the sole responsibility of pursuit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Don't speak too soon -- remember what you learned about the Mel. Priesthood holder praying before the woman in sacrament mtg.
While I still have a hard time believing "clearly and repeatedly," the point remains: it's not true.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote