cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #21
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
He's undersold Staley and Brown, so I'm curious if he was high on any BYU RB ever.
Ronnie Jenkins
Old 08-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #22
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas dan View Post
I completely agree with this. I never think of him as being that great because he seemed slow. I went back this morning and watched some of Garn's videos and when he broke one it was exciting, but he never pulled away. Staley was so fast you always felt if he got through the line.... he was gone. It is to bad he wasn't durable.... I really thought he could do something in the NFL. I went to the Doak Walker award banquet this year, and was thinking about the year he won it. He kind of won it on a fluke due to the guy from UCLA getting arrested... but I think he deserved it. My firm sponsers the legends award, and we have a bunch of Doak Walker Award footballs in the lobby. I keep wanting to walk off with the Staley ball. He was one of the best backs I have seen in person. Crazy to see a white boy that fast.
He was a special player, too bad he had such weak joints.

I remember one of his first games at BYU. It was televised on ESPN and Lee Corso said, "this kid will play in the NFL". He definitely had NFL talent.

Last edited by Venkman; 08-06-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #23
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Ronnie Jenkins
I remember watching the 1996 Utah game and seeing Jenkins and McKenzie just pound the ball down the Ute's throats, Big 10 style, thinking "we have arrived". Sadly, this was the apex of BYU football and we've never quite gotten back to that point (although we came close last year).

I don't think Ronnie should've been kicked out of school.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #24
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Cougarmom's experiencing the phenomenom of how we treat graduated players.

http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/m...tml?id=2881018

The backup is usually better than the starter, but the newly appointed starter is always better than the guy who graduated last year.

I was ripped apart on CB back in the day for criticizing current players and coaches but the good homer will always rip on former players and coaches--especially to prop up the current ones.

For the record, Curtis was better than Fui last year and I don't expect Fui to be more valuable than Curtis this year. I won't be shocked if he is but I'm not expecting it.
same goes for coaches. A few years ago those who were still behind Crowton always had to bring up this or that failure of Lavell or his assistants to show Crowton was ok. I never understood the argument.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #25
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
same goes for coaches. A few years ago those who were still behind Crowton always had to bring up this or that failure of Lavell or his assistants to show Crowton was ok. I never understood the argument.
The argument is to show that even the great ones are not error free. You wouldn't bring up the fact that a lousy coach makes mistakes to show all coaches do, would you.

Crowton proved to be not a great head coach for BYU. However, he did not deserve the villification that got heaped on him by some.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #26
cougjunkie

maybe part of the reason i am so hard on Curtis is the lovefest for his mom. His mom posts some of the most controversial topics on CB, and does nothing but praise her son (which is to be expected) but she does it at the expense of other players (like her comments about Fui being a hot-head) so she rips in to cougarboard going off about how mean we are to Curtis. Now just looking on page 1 this morning it is full of nothing but Curtis Brown defender posts.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
maybe part of the reason i am so hard on Curtis is the lovefest for his mom. His mom posts some of the most controversial topics on CB, and does nothing but praise her son (which is to be expected) but she does it at the expense of other players (like her comments about Fui being a hot-head) so she rips in to cougarboard going off about how mean we are to Curtis. Now just looking on page 1 this morning it is full of nothing but Curtis Brown defender posts.
How many times has Curtis posted on CB?

What type of performances did Curtis deliver for a team you purport to support?

Has Curtis in the few times he posted ever been overly arrogant or vile on CB?

If your venom arises due to Cheryl Brown, you believe in indirect attacks to injure the mother? This reminds me of a Scot I met on my mission. He told me the best way to get revenge. First he asked the question, "if you catch you wife humping another guy, what do you do?"

"Kill her? No, you kill him in front of her."

So, your idea comports with his, if you wish to cause most injury to an enemy or wayward relative, you hurt as viciously as you can anybody near and dear to that person. You are learning the ways of Machiavelli. You can be ever so proud.

I can see why you stick it to her whenver possible, it is a vile thing to support your children, to be proud of their accomplishments on behalf of BYU. All of us should tear down the parents of our athletes so that nobody can feel good about themselves.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:59 PM   #28
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
How many times has Curtis posted on CB?

What type of performances did Curtis deliver for a team you purport to support?

Has Curtis in the few times he posted ever been overly arrogant or vile on CB?

If your venom arises due to Cheryl Brown, you believe in indirect attacks to injure the mother? This reminds me of a Scot I met on my mission. He told me the best way to get revenge. First he asked the question, "if you catch you wife humping another guy, what do you do?"

"Kill her? No, you kill him in front of her."

So, your idea comports with his, if you wish to cause most injury to an enemy or wayward relative, you hurt as viciously as you can anybody near and dear to that person. You are learning the ways of Machiavelli. You can be ever so proud.

I can see why you stick it to her whenver possible, it is a vile thing to support your children, to be proud of their accomplishments on behalf of BYU. All of us should tear down the parents of our athletes so that nobody can feel good about themselves.
Wow so now not liking Curtis' mom is like killing someone? Please point out a post where i have bashed her? I dont even respond to her posts at all, I never bash her, and I dont even really bash Curtis. Imo i think Curtis is the 4th best back in BYU history behind Staley, Jenkins and Willis.

Is there something wrong with that? Also I wouldnt even say its Cheryl that i dislike its the lovefest for her because she is a players mom. She will post about how she is all for torturing kids in Iraq (just an example dont have a coronary archaea) and underneath her posts you get:

Thanks for raising such a great SON!

GO CURTIS!

We love you CHERYL!

CuRTIS IS AWESOME!

Do you not see something wrong with that?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:04 PM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post

Do you not see something wrong with that?
Not agreeing the masturbatory lovefest is one thing, but to be "hard on Curtis" for factors outside of his control makes no sense. To build the program, we need constant love for past players and enthusiasm for the new ones.

I have no idea where Curtis ranks, but he was never kicked out of school for an honor code violation, he played four years relatively injury free, he had some big games, and you could rely upon him usually for a run or a pass. If we had a running back as dependable as Curtis every year, we'd never worry about our running backs.

Fui can't stay healthy, is not as dependable in the receiving arena and doesn't control his weight problems. So although I love his nastiness, I wish he'd be available for a complete season.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #30
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Well, from my perspective, people would bring up certain items as damning proof that Crowton was a bad coach (particularly turnovers and penalties), yet those things were an undeniable part of the LaVell years.

Cynics may say that amounts to ripping on LaVell, I would say it means that those items are not good measures of coaching quality one direction or the other.

P.S. Just as a very quick 'fer instance', take a look at Florida's rankings with penalties and turnovers last year and where did they end up?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote