cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Originally Posted by Tex
I didn't say that African American spiritual music might chase the Spirit away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
That said, Bishops have the responsibility for maintaining a proper decorum for sacrament meeting, and believe me, if you lose control of the music you will, guaranteed, lose control of the Spirit in the meeting. It falls under his purview to decide what's appropriate and what isn't, and if he wants only hymns, I think that's his choice. It doesn't make him a white oppressor. His fault in this case is not making that clear to his counselors, and overreacting later.

Oh, you mean that comment.

LOL. I should take Tex off ignore just for the entertainment factor. I am guessing he will respond by telling you that you are twisting his words. Classic.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Oh, you mean that comment.

LOL. I should take Tex off ignore just for the entertainment factor. I am guessing he will respond by telling you that you are twisting his words. Classic.
Tex has been in top form today.

He said I twisted his words.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Tex has been in top form today.

He said I twisted his words.
You did. I did not say African American hymns chase away the Spirit.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You did. I did not say African American hymns chase away the Spirit.
Just so you know, "Back in Black" is not an African American hymn. Thought we should clear that up.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I normally don't even read the religious topics here....

But this is a conversation I was having with a young woman yesterday at church.

My oldest daughter is 15 years old. I would say in the last year she has probably brought 10 of her girlfriends with her to church. 2 of these girls have taken a real liking to the church and have come on a weekly basis for the past few months. Both of these girls just finished a week at a BYU soccer camp in Provo with my daughter. (We live in California, so this isn't a two block drive.)

Yesterday is church instead of sitting right next to my daughter, I am seated next to her friend. (She doesn't have a Dad in her home, she looks up to me as a "father" figure so this is okay by all.)

I realize during the meeting that she hasn't sung anything out of the hymnal with us during the entire meeting. I don't question it while we are there in church. (I know for a fact she has a great singing voice though.)

Last night while we are eating Sunday dinner, (Usually if you go to church with us you stay and eat dinner with us. Not a rule, but when church gets out at 330...) I ask her why she doesn't sing during church..

This is her direct quote...

"Your songs are for white people. They are boring and make me want to go to sleep. You guys should look at some other churches to find out what a hymn is. The stuff you guys sing is slow and not fun."

She is a 15 year old black girl.

It suprised me a little bit, and I would tend to agree with her.

But she isn't going to let that deter her. She is seriously contemplating starting the discussions with the missionaries.

She also had a similar complaint/experience at soccer camp at BYU...

Upon picking the girls up on Friday at the completion of camp she says the following...(A very bright girl btw....)

Me: Girls...how was camp?

Daughter: Good.
Friend 1: Good.
Friend 2: Good. Mr. The_Tick...did you know I was the only black person there? 9 guy teams, 9 girl teams. 14 players on each team, and I am the only black person there. Not even a black girl on the BYU soccer team. You all are weird.

We all laughed about it.....but she brings up a great point.

Not enough diversity in the LDS church.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post

Not enough diversity in soccer either. She was a guy, she'd have better luck finding other black people at a BYU football camp.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post

Diversity is slowly coming to the church. In our ward we have members from Honduras, Mexico, Korea, Jamaica, Wales, Australia, Tonga, Puerto Rico and Spain. Will the style of the church change with the addition of these different cultures or will it stay the same?
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Diversity is slowly coming to the church. In our ward we have members from Honduras, Mexico, Korea, Jamaica, Wales, Australia, Tonga, Puerto Rico and Spain. Will the style of the church change with the addition of these different cultures or will it stay the same?
When leadership reflects the demographics of membership, style will change.

Why we have the most boring hymns on the face of the planet is beyond me. I suppose it's a signal we're supposed to sleep at church, so we wouldn't wish to wake anybody slumbering.

Who says the Spirit can only speak to the soul while one sleeps?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why we have the most boring hymns on the face of the planet is beyond me. I suppose it's a signal we're supposed to sleep at church, so we wouldn't wish to wake anybody slumbering.

Who says the Spirit can only speak to the soul while one sleeps?
Speaking of boring hymns, has anyone ever attended an entire block without singing/sleeping through one of the following: How Firm a Foundation, Hope of Israel or Redeemer of Israel?

The point is there are rarely sung hymns (e.g. Cast thy Burden Upon the Lord) that are excellent. Too often, we get stuck on only singing the familiar hymns ad nauseum. I am often tempted while sitting at the organ to suddenly go off like the organist in the "Simpsons" and play a rousing version of "Inagaddadavida". But then I realize that, like Arch says, everyone is asleep and wouldn't notice (excluding the bishop of course).

Notwithstanding the above, the current hymnal is in dire need of overhaul. I am interested in what non-LDS religious music has touched CG hearts?

Last edited by Requiem; 07-30-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:17 PM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post

Notwithstanding the above, the current hymnal is in dire need of overhaul. I am interested in what non-LDS religous music has touched CG hearts?
http://www.stryper.com/
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote