cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2006, 09:36 PM   #11
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I was pissed when that seventy gave the talk on fasting during a recent General Conference and reiterated the "24 hours" thing...

2 meals. It's always been two meals. It has never not been 2 meals. However you'd like to translate that, fine, but it's two meals. Leave it alone.

Last edited by All-American; 05-09-2006 at 09:42 PM.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
I was pissed when that seventy gave the talk on fasting during a recent General Conference and reiterated the "24 hours" thing...

2 meals. It's always been two meals. It has never not been 2 meals. However you'd like to translate that, fine, but it's two meals. Leave it alone.
Yes I really think it is something people should just decide what is best for them. For me I had a lot of very good experiences with fasting during my reactivation process, so for me I really think it is important to do the 24 hour thing. However, I see no reason why fasting for 2 meals is not adequate for fasting.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:40 PM   #13
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I was annoyed with the two meals = 24 hours talk. I'd always felt good about the way I'd been doing it. I don't like it when people try to turn spiritual principles into a precise measurement.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #14
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm usually right near 24-hours. I'm not convinced there's any virtue in clockwatching, though.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:14 AM   #15
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal
Growing up my family would would eat through the evening on Saturday, then break the fast around 3 on Sunday afternoon, depending on when church ended. I still pretty much do the same thing. My in-laws, however, are uberfasters and go for the full 24 hours. They blow my mind. I feel exhausted doing just what I do. It doesn't help that my wife doesn't fast (breastfeeding) and watching her eat is torture. But who am I kidding, I wouldn't fast for longer if I was married to Ghandi.

So how long do you fast for?
No way in hades could I fast that long. I get migraines bad enough as it is. Even just after fasting for 2 meals I'm typically lights out and migraining for the rest of the day, so no way could I do 24 hours.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #16
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I don't recall hearing that talk, so lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalal, I can't hear you, lalalalalalalalalalalala!
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #17
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I was on my mission, when Priesthood session was at 4:00. I can officially ignore it too.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #18
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
We do it as follows:

Under 8: no fasting
8-12: skip one meal
12+: skip two meals
That's exactly what we (well, I guess my wife) settled on. Freaky (or maybe it just makes the most sense).

I don't think we ever do the full 24-hour thing. It's too hard with little kids and all. Perhaps when they are out of the house we will get more Ute-like in our observance of such things. Then again, maybe we'll just go inactive.

At our ward here, it appears that there is a fairly liberal interpretation of fasting. The natives were snacking on popcorn during YW this past fast Sunday (not uncommon). When my 13-year-old pointed this out, my 15-year-old and I harrassed her for "judging others." That was fun.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #19
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

If you give more fast offering than normal do you get to shave hours off of the 24?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:57 AM   #20
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
I bet David Blaine could do it without any ill affects.....
So could Chuck Norris.