cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 02:01 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cycling culture

On the group ride last week, I was talking to a member of the team. He's the charismatic leader, the guy who everyone sort of gravitates to, who likes to talk, humorous, coaches some of the less experienced guys. Sort of a fixture on the scene.

I asked him where another had been, and he said, "what, that hairy-legged mother f#$*(#?"

I guess it finally dawned on me in that moment that if you don't shave your legs, it's actually insulting to some people. I'm not talking about casual riders like myself, but racers (I think this guy was cat 4 or 5). Now this guy was pissed for other other reasons, but I found his choice of words interesting.

Then there's the whole bike thing. If you have a crappy bike, that is saying either "I'm poor" or "I'm not serious." I always have the crappiest bike when I go on these rides. A $500 bike (with a $500 wheelset). No one has ever said anything to me. Maybe it's just the insecurity of the cheap bike rider.

But I find myself thinking, maybe I should get the dura-ace instead of ultegra. Nor for performance reasons, as much as peer-pressure!

I think I might shave my legs tonight! (haven't done that in a couple of years).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:16 AM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
But I find myself thinking, maybe I should get the dura-ace instead of ultegra. Nor for performance reasons, as much as peer-pressure!
Mike, if you'll quickly glance up at your wall you'll note a piece of paper, nicely framed that indicates you've completed Medical school. Repeat after me: it's ok to spend money on the dura-ace, it's ok to spend money on the dura-ace....
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:17 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
On the group ride last week, I was talking to a member of the team. He's the charismatic leader, the guy who everyone sort of gravitates to, who likes to talk, humorous, coaches some of the less experienced guys. Sort of a fixture on the scene.

I asked him where another had been, and he said, "what, that hairy-legged mother f#$*(#?"

I guess it finally dawned on me in that moment that if you don't shave your legs, it's actually insulting to some people. I'm not talking about casual riders like myself, but racers (I think this guy was cat 4 or 5). Now this guy was pissed for other other reasons, but I found his choice of words interesting.

Then there's the whole bike thing. If you have a crappy bike, that is saying either "I'm poor" or "I'm not serious." I always have the crappiest bike when I go on these rides. A $500 bike (with a $500 wheelset). No one has ever said anything to me. Maybe it's just the insecurity of the cheap bike rider.

I think I might shave my legs tonight! (haven't done that in a couple of years).
Ride what makes you feel good about riding. While riding, you can be on that thing for a long, long time. It should be comfortable.

And Dura Ace has a slightly better feel than Ultegra. I'm waiting for the new SRAM model above the Force, cool lines and smooth shifting. I'm building a bike as we discussed.

The shaving the leg thing is peculiar, but it shows a commitment to ride. Hey, he wants to be part of us, or he thinks he's better than us. Plus gals actually like the look, which is always a seller for me.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:26 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Mike, if you'll quickly glance up at your wall you'll note a piece of paper, nicely framed that indicates you've completed Medical school. Repeat after me: it's ok to spend money on the dura-ace, it's ok to spend money on the dura-ace....
maybe I should get SRAM Force or Campy Record?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:31 AM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
maybe I should get SRAM Force or Campy Record?
Eurosnobs love Record, but they are a pain to work on. Force and Dura Ace are more easily repaired.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:34 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

It's hard to say what I would be good at, if I was a good cyclist. But if I were guessing, I would say that I would be a sprinter. Or maybe someone like Benatti, who benefits from a longer sprint (because I ran the 400).

So the SRAM Force might have some appeal.

Sora sucks so bad when it comes to sprinting. Because it's a thumb-shifter for going into bigger gear, you can't be in the drops when you sprint. And then you are less aero and get less torque.

How can I ever be a good sprinter with Sora?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:35 AM   #7
SteelBlue

I think people respect a guy who doesn't spend a ton of cash up front but rides what he has and then makes his decisions. My boss had completed a grand total of 2 rides when he purchased a $6,000 bike. I think he's added 10 or 12 rides to that total in the past year. What a waste.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:36 AM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
It's hard to say what I would be good at, if I was a good cyclist. But if I were guessing, I would say that I would be a sprinter. Or maybe someone like Benatti, who benefits from a longer sprint (because I ran the 400).

So the SRAM Force might have some appeal.

Sora sucks so bad when it comes to sprinting. Because it's a thumb-shifter for going into bigger gear, you can't be in the drops when you sprint. And then you are less aero and get less torque.

How can I ever be a good sprinter with Sora?
You can't.

Based on your running I would say you'd be a crit man, or a sprinter in flattish stages.

You need top of the line stuff, but right now SRAM is interesting me, even though I am bottom of the barrel racer.

Dudes, the Guardians are registered. Let the fun begin.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:37 AM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I think people respect a guy who doesn't spend a ton of cash up front but rides what he has and then makes his decisions. My boss had completed a grand total of 2 rides when he purchased a $6,000 bike. I think he's added 10 or 12 rides to that total in the past year. What a waste.
What is the frame size? If he wants to unload for a grand or two, I'll take it.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:41 AM   #10
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What is the frame size? If he wants to unload for a grand or two, I'll take it.
Don't think I haven't tried that.