cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 10:48 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Bonds apologetics

The linked article is part of a spate of Bonds apologetics that has been surfacing as he closed in on Aaron's record (I see that fusnik has been a consumer). The worm has turned; the press is now rising to the cause of legitimetizing this most hallowed of all records. (I hope you all can access this article.)

http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=w070806&s=hoenig080707

The writer analogizes baseball to religion, saying the sports writers are the clergy. I guess this means the players are the gods. I think the analogy is apt. I'm sensing a "the institution must be saved at all costs" mentality here. Truth be damned.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

When Ben Johnson was caught using steroids, he had to return his gold medal and his world record from the previous year was rescinded.

When Floyd Landis was caught, he lost his TDF title.

The glorification of Bonds in the full light of his cheating really turns my stomach. No wonder MLB is a dying league.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
When Ben Johnson was caught using steroids, he had to return his gold medal and his world record from the previous year was rescinded.

The glorification of Bonds in the full light of his cheating really turns my stomach. No wonder MLB is a dying league.
Actually, Landis has yet to be stripped of his title, as his appeal is still pending. Your point is well-taken, however.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:05 AM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

If a lawyer got caught cheating on the bar, she would be disbarred, if a med student cheated on his boards, he would lose his license and so on. I don't sympathize with those who have cheated the system for their own gain.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:23 AM   #5
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Points noted, but in each of those sports the governing bodies banned steroids and tested for them. Steroids were banned in 1991 but testing never began in MLB until 2003.

He has never failed a steroid test. If Barry were more media friendly and overcame brain cancer he'd be Lance Armstrong.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:28 AM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Points noted, but in each of those sports the governing bodies banned steroids and tested for them. Steroids were banned in 1991 but testing never began in MLB until 2003.
So cheating is OK as long as you aren't caught red-handed?

Quote:
He has never failed a steroid test.
Are you seriously going to argue that he never used steroids?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

He has never failed a steroid test. If Barry were more media friendly and overcame brain cancer he'd be Lance Armstrong.
This is not even close to being an accurate analaogy. LA was tested more than any other athlete and for more substances than any other athlete. Thwe tests took place after every win, every stage win, randomly during races, and at unannounced random times out of competition. The testing regime in cycling is far more stringent than MLB. In fact, MLB's protocols are a joke, not taking place in the off-season except for certain times when they are announced ahead of time.

Moreover, the drug Bonds was apparently using (or at least one of them) was unkown to testing protocols at the time which is exactly why it was being used. While LA may have had some sort of designer drug available, streroids only go so far in cycling and the blood products that help in that endurance event are detectable and were detectable during the peak of LA's career. Plus, even though MLB didnt' ban the drugs, they were illegal. MLB doens't ban murder, either, but committing one would probabyl still make you ineligible for the HOF. Moreover, Boinds ADMITS he took stuff, he just claims he didn't know what it was and thought it might be linseed oil. SUre you did Barry, good ole bulk inducing linseed oil.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:46 AM   #8
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This is not even close to being an accurate analaogy. LA was tested more than any other athlete and for more substances than any other athlete. Thwe tests took place after every win, every stage win, randomly during races, and at unannounced random times out of competition. The testing regime in cycling is far more stringent than MLB. In fact, MLB's protocols are a joke, not taking place in the off-season except for certain times when they are announced ahead of time.

Moreover, the drug Bonds was apparently using (or at least one of them) was unkown to testing protocols at the time which is exactly why it was being used. While LA may have had some sort of designer drug available, streroids only go so far in cycling and the blood products that help in that endurance event are detectable and were detectable during the peak of LA's career. Plus, even though MLB didnt' ban the drugs, they were illegal. MLB doens't ban murder, either, but committing one would probabyl still make you ineligible for the HOF. Moreover, Boinds ADMITS he took stuff, he just claims he didn't know what it was and thought it might be linseed oil. SUre you did Barry, good ole bulk inducing linseed oil.
Haha, I knew that'd get the cyclists here in a tizzy.

Anyway, do I believe Barry took steroids? Sure, he admitted to it. Does it matter to me? No. Like I said in the other thread, I don't believe steroids in baseball produces that much more of an advantage as it would in other sports like football or cycling.

I think people like to make it seem like steroids earned Barry his homeruns. I think it's his compact swing and bat speed. Which he has displayed his entire life. I mean, if steroids are the reason and if steroids were as rampant as people believe why haven't others reached his level? I maintain, that new smaller ballparks, a harder ball, a lower pitching mound, and smaller strike zone giving batters even more advantages.

Is it only cheating if you get caught? Maybe. Why ban something you're not going to enforce? It doesn't make much sense to me. Ethics in sports is difficult to argue. Is holding on the O-Line cheating only if you get caught? So is Jason Buck a cheater? It is what it is.

Allow steroids and level the playing field.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:01 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

There have been no controlled studies that have proven that steroids allow one to hit more homeruns than one otherwise would.

Signed,
Surfah and Fusnik
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:06 AM   #10
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
There have been no controlled studies that have proven that steroids allow one to hit more homeruns than one otherwise would.

Signed,
Surfah and Fusnik
True statement at least for me. Can't speak for Fusnik.

Last edited by Surfah; 08-09-2007 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Can't speak for Fussy.