cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More tithing scenarios

1. I have a winter jacket worth $100 which I trade you for a signed John Beck jockstrap worth $100. Do I pay tithing? Probably not.

2. You write up a will for me and I fix your fence in exchange. Do I pay tithing on that? I think most wouldn't.

3. You write a will for me as a favor. Do I pay tithing on that?

4. Indirect increases are also problematic. The local government repaves the road in front of my house, making my life better. Is than an increase? The govt. installs a new gas coupling under my house at no charge. Is that an increase? The govt. now pays for my prescription medications. Is than an increase?

5. I planted a fruit tree. I harvested $500 worth of fruit, which I eat and can. Is than an increase? Is a garden an increase? My lawn went from crappy to really plush this year? Is than an increase?

I find it interesting that so many people are dead certain that there is an EXACT CORRECT way to pay tithing. It sure isn't very clear to me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
Stumpy

Stumpy is on a distinguished road

How about that lady who bought a crappy painting and it turned out to be worth millions? She might have to sell her house if she wants to pay an honest tithe.

How about a theoretical tax bracket at 91%? That tithe payer would have less than nothing if he pays on gross.

How about negative tithes? What if someone paid on his enron options before selling, and then they turn out to be worthless. Can he stop paying tithing for a few years to balance the books?
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
1. I have a winter jacket worth $100 which I trade you for a signed John Beck jockstrap worth $100. Do I pay tithing? Probably not.

2. You write up a will for me and I fix your fence in exchange. Do I pay tithing on that? I think most wouldn't.

4. Indirect increases are also problematic. The local government repaves the road in front of my house, making my life better. Is than an increase? The govt. installs a new gas coupling under my house at no charge. Is that an increase? The govt. now pays for my prescription medications. Is than an increase?

5. I planted a fruit tree. I harvested $500 worth of fruit, which I eat and can. Is than an increase? Is a garden an increase? My lawn went from crappy to really plush this year? Is than an increase?

I find it interesting that so many people are dead certain that there is an EXACT CORRECT way to pay tithing. It sure isn't very clear to me.
I like the garden and fruit tree stuff. It would be an obvious increase to our farmer ancestors but not to the dude with an apricot tree in his yard in Orem.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:

Those are easy. I'd pay no tithing in all 5 scenarios.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

we're neighbors. you come over and ask to borrow my 15/16" drill bit.
With a merry face, and a slap on the back, I send you home with the bit.
I make an entry in my accounting ledger: -$15.83 until the bit returns.