cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's ironic about OU's and Illinois's performances

their right to be there.

If next year, both teams are in the same ranking vicinity, no sportswriter or coach will doubt their entitlement to play in a BCS game, but Hawaii will be doubted.

People will also forget BSU and Utah's entitlement to be there.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Who's going to come up with a new picture of some poor OU 10 year-old boy crying in the stands? I look forward to the update.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Archaea

Longhorns made an artform out of it.

http://www.bevosports.com/2006/10/08/sobbing-sooners/
Old 01-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
is their right to be there.

If next year, both teams are in the same ranking vicinity, no sportswriter or coach will doubt their entitlement to play in a BCS game, but Hawaii will be doubted.
Actually, even this year lots and lots of people and commentators doubted Illinois's and Kansas's rights to at-large bids.

The thing you're missing about the Sooners is that in all four of the losses, the Sooners were never once at-large bids. See, if you win the conference you're required to go. It is Oklahoma's particular curse to win the goddamn conference every year and then head resignedly, in true funeral march style, to the inevitable BCS slaughter.

I'd like to point out I wisely cheered for Missouri in the Big 12 title game. The Holiday Bowl is sounding pretty sweet to Sooner fans these days.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Actually, even this year lots and lots of people and commentators doubted Illinois's and Kansas's rights to at-large bids.

The thing you're missing about the Sooners is that in all four of the losses, the Sooners were never once at-large bids. See, if you win the conference you're required to go. It is Oklahoma's particular curse to win the goddamn conference every year and then head resignedly, in true funeral march style, to the inevitable BCS slaughter.

I'd like to point out I wisely cheered for Missouri in the Big 12 title game. The Holiday Bowl is sounding pretty sweet to Sooner fans these days.
Babs, we love you, but I really doubt you'll find anyone on this site who is going to feel badly that your Sooners are required to play in a BCS game by virtue of winning their conference.

For us us outsiders, it's akin to being an entry-level worker hear the CEO bitch about having to accept his $7M Christmas bonus.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Babs, we love you, but I really doubt you'll find anyone on this site who is going to feel badly that your Sooners are required to play in a BCS game by virtue of winning their conference.

For us us outsiders, it's akin to being an entry-level worker hear the CEO bitch about having to accept his $7M Christmas bonus.
Apologies, I did not mean to imply I was asking for sympathy. I am not complaining. Being a fan of a perennially overranked traditional powerhouse, one with a slightly thuggy streak, is certainly a mixed blessing, but it's my school and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I was merely trying to correct the Archaean's misunderstanding: 1. Not only would Illinois's berth as an at-large bid be questioned next year, it was already questioned this year. 2. Oklahoma would not be questioned so long as it is an automatic bid, though many would like to add an "Oklahoma" clause to the BCS, which makes it so that the Big 12 champion is BCS ineligible in years when said champion's name begins in O.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Apologies, I did not mean to imply I was asking for sympathy. I am not complaining. Being a fan of a perennially overranked traditional powerhouse, one with a slightly thuggy streak, is certainly a mixed blessing, but it's my school and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I was merely trying to correct the Archaean's misunderstanding: 1. Not only would Illinois's berth as an at-large bid be questioned next year, it was already questioned this year. 2. Oklahoma would not be questioned so long as it is an automatic bid, though many would like to add an "Oklahoma" clause to the BCS, which makes it so that the Big 12 champion is BCS ineligible in years when said champion's name begins in O.
I think it should require OU to play all non BCS participants to give us little guys a chance.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Fair enough and I now understand what you were saying.

I'll admit that Oklahoma became one of my favorite teams when I returned from my mission in Italy and heard BYU fans howling about that big meanie Barry Switzer. Anybody that can get under the skin of my teams rival is ok by me. And my positive feelings about OU increased exponentially after Tom Osborne was too big of a coward to do the right thing with Lawrence Phillips. I figured that if I was going to hate Nebraska as much as I do, I should make more of an effort to support Oklahoma.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #9
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I think it should require OU to play all non BCS participants to give us little guys a chance.
I think, in the interest of making the BCS even MORE money-centric, we should just start auctioning off the slot against Oklahoma to the highest bidder. Who wouldn't bid on a guaranteed W?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:36 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
I think, in the interest of making the BCS even MORE money-centric, we should just start auctioning off the slot against Oklahoma to the highest bidder. Who wouldn't bid on a guaranteed W?
I kinda thought you were working hard. But I guess the commission on OU's spot made that unnecessary.