cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2008, 02:59 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Would Mitt's faith be harming him

if he had remained the same person who won the governor election in Massachusettes? It seems to me the views of the Dr. Jekyll Mitt would have completely neutralized the Mormon factor, as apparently they did when he was Dr. Jekyll. Mr. Hyde Mitt played the religion card first and got hoisted on his own petard. It was a double whammy. Nobody likes insincere piety.

Okay, we can disagree on whether the Religion in America speech killed him. (That poll in Iowa with Huckabee leading by 22% came out the next day.) But that was a microcosm of his strategy to transmogrify into torch bearer for the religious right. I liked the old Dr. Jekyll Mitt. I'll never forgive Mr. Hyde. Would Dr. Jekyll Mitt be winning now? Karma.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I am still of the belief that he would have been better off if he had said something like "I'm a Mormon. Deal with it." and left it at that.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:20 AM   #3
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
if he had remained the same person who won the governor election in Massachusettes? It seems to me the views of the Dr. Jekyll Mitt would have completely neutralized the Mormon factor, as apparently they did when he was Dr. Jekyll. Mr. Hyde Mitt played the religion card first and got hoisted on his own petard. It was a double whammy. Nobody likes insincere piety.

Okay, we can disagree on whether the Religion in America speech killed him. (That poll in Iowa with Huckabee leading by 22% came out the next day.) But that was a microcosm of his strategy to transmogrify into torch bearer for the religious right. I liked the old Dr. Jekyll Mitt. I'll never forgive Mr. Hyde. Would Dr. Jekyll Mitt be winning now? Karma.
His Faith in America speech did NOT kill him. LMAO. Huckabee had already climbed to a big lead in Iowa. Why do you think Romney gave the speech when he did? It was after the speech that he began to close the gap on Huck.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:34 AM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
His Faith in America speech did NOT kill him. LMAO. Huckabee had already climbed to a big lead in Iowa. Why do you think Romney gave the speech when he did? It was after the speech that he began to close the gap on Huck.
Nitwit, this poll came out the day after the faith in America speech.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/74215

Nobody but Mormons liked that speech.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:45 AM   #5
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Political question: Does anyone know why he never ran for governor in Michigan? After he made his fortune why not move there? That's a state the R's can carry, unlike Mass, and he wouldn't have to move to the moderate side of the party to get elected there. Just curious.

If he were a more personally engaging candidate, the religion issue wouldn't matter.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:17 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Political question: Does anyone know why he never ran for governor in Michigan? After he made his fortune why not move there? That's a state the R's can carry, unlike Mass, and he wouldn't have to move to the moderate side of the party to get elected there. Just curious.

If he were a more personally engaging candidate, the religion issue wouldn't matter.
I think it's because he had lived and done business in Mass that he ran for governor there. My understanding is that his only real connection to Michigan is that he grew up there.

Or maybe he didn't want to tread the waters where his Dad was such a popular governor - the same reason that I can't think of any of Matheson's sons running for governor of Utah.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:24 AM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post

While George Romney was a popular governor, the Romney name doesn't automatically ensure political success in Michigan. In 1970 his mom ran for Senate and was trounced by a Dem incumbent. His ex-sister in law, Ronna Romney, also ran for Senate using the Romney name in 1994 and 1996 lost both times. His brother, Scott Romney, also lost a bid for the party nomination to become the states AG in 1996. The Romney's have lost more elections in Michigan than they've won.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:59 AM   #8
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Nitwit, this poll came out the day after the faith in America speech.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/74215

Nobody but Mormons liked that speech.
Hey dumbass, did you even read the article?!

"The survey was completed on the day of the former Massachusetts governor's much-heralded speech in College Station, Texas, addressing his religion, though most respondents probably had not heard it."

The poll was conducted over a two day period. The second day was the very same day of his speech. Who's the nitwit?
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:01 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
While George Romney was a popular governor, the Romney name doesn't automatically ensure political success in Michigan. In 1970 his mom ran for Senate and was trounced by a Dem incumbent. His ex-sister in law, Ronna Romney, also ran for Senate using the Romney name in 1994 and 1996 lost both times. His brother, Scott Romney, also lost a bid for the party nomination to become the states AG in 1996. The Romney's have lost more elections in Michigan than they've won.
It does seem to ensure church leadership position success however, from what I have seen.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:26 AM   #10
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You are right, but the conundrum is that has he not pulled right probably wouldn't have been able to be a serious candidate and raise all the money he has. But I agree that if he ultimately fails (which is likely) it will be because the flip-flop label stuck. I like him, but I think he has earned that label and probably can't shake it.

I'll tell you who has to be kicking himself: Mark Warner.