cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay
Default Adam-God Theory

Okay there are a few things here that don't make sense to me about the Adam-God theory. If God is Adam, does that mean that God transgressed in the Garden of Eden? Hardly seems possible for a perfect God. How does that work?
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a popular topic, Adam-God. Check out these previous threads:

http://www.cougarguard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7

http://www.cougarguard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=258

http://www.cougarguard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1096

http://www.cougarguard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1360
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:47 AM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I know it won't be popular to say this,,but bluntly put it's a completely false doctrine that inevitably leads to some kind of apostasy.

I've yet to see someone who insists on believing it stay in the church for the long haul.

There are some things that are left to personal interpretation and then there are A LOT of things in the gospel that have been shown, whether they be taught in the open or not and that are very plain and very clear.

It isn't one of those "hidden or mysterious truths". It's very plain and clear who Adam is and who Heavenly Father is. We know this from very CLEAR and DISTINCT differences taught in the temple and through further study.

One can choose to entertain other thoughts in regards to this doctrine and while that's certainly their right, but ultimately what they're really doing is confusing something that is plain and clear.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:54 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
I know it won't be popular to say this,,but
What makes you think that any of us subscribe to the Adam/God theory? Sure it was discussed. But I don't recall anybody jumping on board.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:01 AM   #5
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have been clear to say that I am not ...

... an Adam-God disciple, but then, it may be true, I do not know.

What is clear is that it was rock solid church doctrine at one point. And from my experience, I know of MANY who believe it to be true who were or are solid members of the church. Balboa is correct for many though, that when some fall away, they will point to the apostate state of the current church and its leaders for abandoning a principle our early leaders expressed to be inviolable.

BDB, in the AG concept, Adam, as Father and God, wilfully condescends (i.e., chooses to "fall") into mortality and in the process be placed in a situation of innocense and lack of understanding. He knew he would be redeemed for His transgression. As He previously gained power over death through resurrection from a prior mortality, He had the power to lay down his life and take it up again, which he did at the end of his mortality.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Quote:
I know it won't be popular to say this,,but
What makes you think that any of us subscribe to the Adam/God theory? Sure it was discussed. But I don't recall anybody jumping on board.
I've rarely seen anyone on here have the guts to come out and say "it is false doctrine", instead I mostly read..."well you can't discount what Brigham Young said" etc...etc......you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I just thought I would say what most probably think, but don't have the guts to do. I have no problem saying it's a false doctrine and feeling comfortable while saying it. I'm not trying to offend anyone by saying that. Sorry if you were.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I just thought I would say what most probably think, but don't have the guts to do. I have no problem saying it's a false doctrine and feeling comfortable while saying it. I'm not trying to offend anyone by saying that. Sorry if you were.
LOL. Nice to see the old Rocky back. No offense taken because I've never subscribed to the theory. I learned a lot about the history of the theory in the discussions here. That's about the extent of it.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have no problem saying it's a false doctrine and feeling comfortable while saying it.
Good for you. How do you deal with what Brigham Young said about it?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

How do you deal with what Brigham Young said about the moon and its residents SoCal?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #10
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug
Quote:
I have no problem saying it's a false doctrine and feeling comfortable while saying it.
Good for you. How do you deal with what Brigham Young said about it?
Not to speak for Rocky or anybody else, I have no problem saying it is false doctrine. My viewpoint is that Brigham Young heard Joseph Smith say that God was once a man and had ascended to his position, and had heard him say that Adam had ascended to his throne in the Celestial Kingdom, put two and two together and got five.

I have absolutely no problem with the idea that a man who was a member of the church for only twelve years when he was put in charge of it might make a mistake that big. I believe that the insistance of one member of the quorum of the twelve, acting alone, kept the leaders of the church from leading its members astray, as God promised would never happen. I believe that now, having received further light and knowledge, leaders of the church have discarded a thought that was popular in its day, even among the highest circles of the church, but is false nevertheless.