cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Defensive End....

BYU has lost both Matangi and Mauga from next year's squad. Leukenga seems to be up in the air as well. Who is going to play DE next year after Denney and Jorgenson? Is Ian Dulan definitely mission bound?

If Tialeeva returns healthy I would think that BYU will move Foketi back to playing as a back up DE as the NT position will have RT, Tevita Hola and Rick Wolfley. That leaves the potential back ups as David Angilau, Steve Fendry, Moses Foketi, Kyle Leukenga and Putnam.

I doubt Leukenga, Foketi or Putnam are all ever very good. Quality 3rd string guys but not guys that will get much done if called upon to play significant reps. Perhaps, Foketi will be better back at a DE position. He was a bit undersized at NT.

I understand that Angilau did very well on scout team and should be a pretty decent DE. He strikes me as in the mold of Dulan and Matangi Tonga where he is a DE in a 3-4 but is more of a DE/DT hybrid. I thought he was a solid recruit and think that as a RS freshman he could be a decent back up. Fendry is more in the mold of Denney as a typical DE in a 4-3 alignment in that he is tall and lankier. He needs to put on 20-30 lbs to be anywhere near effective against the rush as a DE in a 3-4. However, he was pretty highly recruited out of HS and was reputed to be a great athlete. I would be really interested if anyone has heard anything about how he performed on the scout team. Another option could be putting 20-30 lbs on Jadon Wagner and moving him to DE. I think that the OLBs next year are going to be Nixon, Nelson, Clawson and So'oto. If Wagner can play, I say start bulking him up and move him to DE.

Can I hope that Ian Dulan doesn't serve a mission? If it is Dulan, Jorgenson, Denney and Angilau playing BYU should be fine. If Dulan goes on a mission and anyone gets injured it could be getting pretty dicey.

On the other hand things don't look nearly as dire as they did before 2006 on the DL and things turned out OK then, so perhaps I just shouldn't worry.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
BYU has lost both Matangi and Mauga from next year's squad.
I've apparently been inattentive lately. Is Matangi not going to be eligible or even back this year? And apparently TBS is reporting that So'oto is being switched (or at least tried out) on D this year. I don't know if that will be at LB or DE, but apparently the coaches are a little concerned about depth.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I've apparently been inattentive lately. Is Matangi not going to be eligible or even back this year? And apparently TBS is reporting that So'oto is being switched (or at least tried out) on D this year. I don't know if that will be at LB or DE, but apparently the coaches are a little concerned about depth.
Matangi Tonga will be at Snow for the next season. Supposedly will try and come back to BYU after that, but we'll see.

So'oto has been moved to OLB. A lot of time BYU lines up a 4th pass rusher to go in anyway....my guess is Nixon, So'oto, Clawson can all fill the bil with So'oto and Clawson being bigger and given opportunities to be a DE/OLB hybrid.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU unlike most schools is always in a state of flux. It is anybodies guess who will be on the field next year, even after spring ball.

A kid might just have the spirit jump him after Spring Ball and it is, hey coach, I am going on a mission. Of course everyone makes the obligatory, that is great, wonderful. Who really cares if that hurts our chances of beating Northern Iowa in the opener.

Of course at any minute someone could get suspended. If the Kruegers were at BYU, we would all be hoping they recover from their injuries and hoping they don't get suspended.

With all the flux that is possible, you gotta hand it to Bronco for the results he is getting.

As a side note. I heard Collinsworth getting a ton of praise lately. Now I hear he has gotten a call to Australia. Good luck to you young man. I hope you come back in the Hansen mode and not the mode of the guys who came back and I have forgotten their names.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote