cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default Obamania a cult?

Two interesting blog posts today from different political perspectives. First, Jake Tapper at ABC:

Quote:
Inspiration is nice. But some folks seem to be getting out of hand.

It's as if Tom Daschle descended from on high saying, "Be not afraid; for behold I bring you good tidings of great joy which shall be to all the people: for there is born to you this day in the city of Chicago a Savior, who is Barack the Lord."

Obama supporter Kathleen Geier writes that she's "getting increasingly weirded out by some of Obama's supporters. On listservs I'm on, some people who should know better – hard-bitten, not-so-young cynics, even – are gushing about Barack…

Describing various encounters with Obama supporters, she writes, "Excuse me, but this sounds more like a cult than a political campaign. The language used here is the language of evangelical Christianity – the Obama volunteers speak of 'coming to Obama' in the same way born-again Christians talk about 'coming to Jesus.'...So I say, we should all get a grip, stop all this unseemly mooning over Barack, see him and the political landscape he is a part of in a cooler, clearer, and more realistic light, and get to work."
He titles this post, "And Obama Wept". LOL.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...bama-wept.html

Then this from the conservative side, Scott Johnson of Powerline points out Bill Katz's ruminations on how great oration is overrated for the presidency.

Quote:
I don’t know what Mr. Obama’s future will be. He’s an exciting speaker, but his speeches have the substance of a vacant apartment. He might just get by. After all, there are other things propelling his candidacy. But he might also look back on our history and realize that rhetoric alone rarely carried the day. If anything, it can, especially with the intimacy of television, wear out its welcome and become tedious.

The conventions will be held in the summer. The election is nine months away. While I won’t be voting for Mr. Obama, I will be interested to see if he can put some furniture in the room.
Read the whole thing ... he actually compares the oratory skills of several past presidents and their opponents, and makes some interesting points.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive.../02/019737.php

Notice how everytime Cali Coug posts on Obama, he follows it with about 30 exclamation points? "One step closer to President Barack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" It's like we're all 14-years-old. Grab a random member of the Obama cult off the street and see if he/she can tell you a major policy point.

We're seeing a political campaign built around a personality rather than around substance, and it's a little bit scary. I may detest John McCain, but I can't deny that the man has ideas and we all know what they are (although he's a little guilty of identity politics as well).

If Obama goes all the way, I have this hunch he's going to be in way over his head.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Two interesting blog posts today from different political perspectives. First, Jake Tapper at ABC:

He titles this post, "And Obama Wept". LOL.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...bama-wept.html

Then this from the conservative side, Scott Johnson of Powerline points out Bill Katz's ruminations on how great oration is overrated for the presidency.

Read the whole thing ... he actually compares the oratory skills of several past presidents and their opponents, and makes some interesting points.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive.../02/019737.php

Notice how everytime Cali Coug posts on Obama, he follows it with about 30 exclamation points? "One step closer to President Barack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" It's like we're all 14-years-old. Grab a random member of the Obama cult off the street and see if he/she can tell you a major policy point.

We're seeing a political campaign built around a personality rather than around substance, and it's a little bit scary. I may detest John McCain, but I can't deny that the man has ideas and we all know what they are (although he's a little guilty of identity politics as well).

If Obama goes all the way, I have this hunch he's going to be in way over his head.

It is adorable that you keep trying to paint Obama as a candidate without any substance. Keep hoping, Tex.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
It is adorable that you keep trying to paint Obama as a candidate without any substance. Keep hoping, Tex.
It's not just me noticing it, bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 02-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
Cali Coug

Quote:
It's not just me noticing it, bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not "noticing," "hoping."

Like I said, adorable. It does feel a bit like misdirected anger, though. It isn't Obama's fault your party is being flushed down the toilet. He might be the one that actually does the flushing, but can you blame him? Nobody leaves a giant terd floating in the toilet.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
He went to Harvard. So did Romney for two degrees.

He worked on projects and for slumlords in Chicago. What else has he done?

He's Oprah Winfrey's gift to the masses. I see a smiling face with a tolerable voice, but no substance. The crowds seem detestingly orgasmic.

He has lots of nice platitudes but no affordable program and no meaningful experience.

Nobody has made a very good explanation of what his experience is, because he doesn't have any.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Tex

Quote:
Not "noticing," "hoping."

Like I said, adorable. It does feel a bit like misdirected anger, though. It isn't Obama's fault your party is being flushed down the toilet. He might be the one that actually does the flushing, but can you blame him? Nobody leaves a giant terd floating in the toilet.
Just admit it Cali. You like him because he speaks well, and because you have white guilt.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 02-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
He went to Harvard. So did Romney for two degrees.

He worked on projects and for slumlords in Chicago. What else has he done?

He's Oprah Winfrey's gift to the masses. I see a smiling face with a tolerable voice, but no substance. The crowds seem detestingly orgasmic.

He has lots of nice platitudes but no affordable program and no meaningful experience.

Nobody has made a very good explanation of what his experience is, because he doesn't have any.
Are you honestly going to go with the "he worked with slumlords" garbage? You know better than that, Arch.

And this thread isn't about experience. It is about whether he has presented substantive ideas.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
Cali Coug

Quote:
Just admit it Cali. You like him because he speaks well, and because you have white guilt.
Or maybe I like him because we are both black. Who knows?

Or maybe Tex is incapable of finding any reason any white person would ever vote for a black man other than white guilt.

You should cut wider eye holes in the white sheets you use. They are restricting your view of the world to a pretty narrow one.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
Tex

Quote:
And this thread isn't about experience. It is about whether he has presented substantive ideas.
That's actually a secondary point. This thread is more about why people are flocking to him in droves, and it ain't because of his ideas.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 02-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Are you honestly going to go with the "he worked with slumlords" garbage? You know better than that, Arch.

He hasn't presented substantive ideas, he has presented fluff that is unaffordable.

"We are the change of the status quo in Washington."

How many politicians haven't said this, coming from a US Senator in Washington.

He hasn't detailed an economic plan, but rather given a wish list of goodies to "buy" and "pander" for votes, but no David Stockman or Phil Gramm type analysis.

Where's the beef? He is a cult figure with no substance.