cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat
Default Mitt's money spent on campaign

I wonder how long it will take Mitt to replace the money he spent on his campaign, via his investments and business ventures. I'll bet by the time the need to start funding for the 2012 race comes around, he will have more than replaced it.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
I wonder how long it will take Mitt to replace the money he spent on his campaign, via his investments and business ventures. I'll bet by the time the need to start funding for the 2012 race comes around, he will have more than replaced it.
He may or may not have replaced his financial capital. How does he plan on restocking his PR capital? McCain had another 8 years of senatorial experience to keep him in the discussion-- where will Romney go now?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think Mitt should start a cult. That would be more fun than running the U.S. There's a lot more sex in it, I know that. There certainly are people out there who literally worship him.

You know, assuming Mitt spent $50 million on the campaign (I'm making the numbers up but pay attention to the concept) and he's still worth $200 million, it won't take rocket science to replace the $50 million in four or certainly eight years. Since Mitt started out life a millionaire it was a lot easier for him to become worth hundreds of millions of dollars than it would be for you. I respect a lot more guys like that founder of JetBlue, for instance, who inherited nothing and grew nine figure net worth.

If you want someone to worship who shares some cultural roots with you how about an artist like Neil Labute.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
He may or may not have replaced his financial capital. How does he plan on restocking his PR capital? McCain had another 8 years of senatorial experience to keep him in the discussion-- where will Romney go now?
I believe all Reagan did (he was around 65, if I remember) was give lots of speeches. Maybe that's insufficient for Romney in this climate, but it seems in the age of the Internet, that may be all he has to do.

I think he should get involved in a conservative thinktank someplace, to shore up his conservative credentials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I think Mitt should start a cult. That would be more fun than running the U.S. There's a lot more sex in it, I know that. There certainly are people out there who literally worship him.
Like Obama!

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I respect a lot more guys like that founder of JetBlue, for instance, who inherited nothing and grew nine figure net worth.
Sadly, your private-school-educated son will strive all his life for your respect, only to be given the cold shoulder. If you can't give him your respect, at least give him your love, SU, at least your love.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Sadly, your private-school-educated son will strive all his life for your respect, only to be given the cold shoulder. If you can't give him your respect, at least give him your love, SU, at least your love.
I said respect more (in terms of business acumen). I'm just trying to tell Norcat that he needn't worship Mitt. His shit does stink, I guarantee. He's no different than any other human in that he doesn't deserve to be deified. I'm trying to liberate Norcat.

Also, odds are against my son inheriting like Mitt did maybe at all. I'm just trying to live well in retirement right now.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If that money is in US stocks and corporate bonds he may have already lost at least that much in the last month.

I suggest he print up his own bank notes.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #8
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For $50M couldn't he have bought his own island from France or the Netherlands and run that as his own country? Maybe one of the Lesser Antilles.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #9
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
For $50M couldn't he have bought his own island from France or the Netherlands and run that as his own country? Maybe one of the Lesser Antilles.
But $50 million to have access to the "football" is probably well worth the gamble. Sure, he laid a lot on the line, but the reward would have been "the bomb!"

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #10
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I said respect more (in terms of business acumen). I'm just trying to tell Norcat that he needn't worship Mitt. His shit does stink, I guarantee. He's no different than any other human in that he doesn't deserve to be deified. I'm trying to liberate Norcat.

Also, odds are against my son inheriting like Mitt did maybe at all. I'm just trying to live well in retirement right now.
That's funny. The other day I was doing one of those on-line retirement calulators and they asked abbunch of quesitons like "how much catfood are you willing to eat each week" and one of the questions was "How much money do you want to leave for your children?" I laughed and relaized that I was obvously on the wrong website. If my kids are lucky, I will save enough so they won't need to add a wheel chair ramp to their house so I can live with them. INheritance? Ha ha.