cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does the MTN deal "lift" the rest of the conference

and improve the fortunes of SDSU, New Mexico, Wyoming--all the schools that never were on TV.

In other words, do those programs start to do better, and lift BYU, making up for the fact that BYU's national exposure is now much less.

I am deeply skeptical of this, but I bring it up as a possibility.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

If CSTV/Versus ever catches on in a major way (not ESPN levels, but at least to a point that people know there are games on these channels..), then I think this will be a great deal for our conference. If we get 4-5 games a year on CSTV and the rest on the mtn, that will be better than before with ESPN. Granted, this will be a few years down the road as CSTV builds it's name.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

1984 BYU-Pitt was the first live ESPN college football game ever. ESPN was 5 years old at the time.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
and improve the fortunes of SDSU, New Mexico, Wyoming--all the schools that never were on TV.

In other words, do those programs start to do better, and lift BYU, making up for the fact that BYU's national exposure is now much less.

I am deeply skeptical of this, but I bring it up as a possibility.
It is hard to see how it would hurt, unless the lack of local tv hurts the visibility locally.

But lift in fortunes it would be infintecimal at least in the short term. But I think LC is correct that the VS/CSTV angle could really help everybody in the long run.

ESPN has been pissing a lot of folks off with their deals and with the stratospheric asking price for them to be on cable systems. It will be interesting to see if CSTV can chip away at that in a way equal too or greater than Fox has. I won't be holding my breath.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Texas A&M had 2 or 3 games last year that weren't on TV at all (including vs. Nebraska). It would be nice if Big 12 or another major conference got on Versus/CSTV.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Texas A&M had 2 or 3 games last year that weren't on TV at all (including vs. Nebraska). It would be nice if Big 12 or another major conference got on Versus/CSTV.
IIRC one of the networks had some Pac-10 games on last year, including the Oregon State-Cal upset game.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:05 AM   #7
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

VS showed Pac 10 games. If CSTV/VS can get some Pac 10 and Big 12 games, it's name will get out there helping MWC exposure.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:42 AM   #8
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
IIRC one of the networks had some Pac-10 games on last year, including the Oregon State-Cal upset game.
Stanford at USC was on VS in HD. The ads for VS made some comment like "Home of the PAC-10" last year.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:56 AM   #9
cougswin

cougswin is on a distinguished road
Default Vs., CSTV

need to get involved in the Bowls. For the most part Bowls are on network and ESPN. CSTV needs to get in and bid on some Bowls and that would help the exposure. I don't think many casual fans flip to Vs. and CSTV to see if a game is on. If they become a player in Bowls etc, the stations will become more known for college football, basketball etc.
cougswin is offline   Reply With Quote