cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Purposes of human life on earth

1) To learn tolerance and charity for one another, and to grant one another liberty.

2) To learn about and to respect our physical and "spiritual" selves and our environment, past and present (for the present can only be grasped through the prism of the past), through intellectual engagement.

3) Joy. Man is that he might have joy.

I think that about covers it, doesn't it? What am I missing?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
1) To learn tolerance and charity for one another, and to grant one another liberty.

2) To learn about and to respect our physical and "spiritual" selves and our environment, past and present (for the present can only be grasped through the prism of the past), through intellectual engagement.

To gain a body.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #3
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
To gain a body.
The body is but a means.

—Paul Auster
Old 02-28-2008, 01:36 AM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
The body is but a means.
So is learning.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Not bad. You're still a Mormon at heart.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
aaronshaf

aaronshaf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"The divine plan required the creation of the earth so that we could be granted the privilege of coming here to obtain a physical body and be able to prove ourselves worthy to return to God's presence." -Joseph Fielding McConkie, Answers: Straightforward Answers To Tough Gospel Questions
Quote:
"His desire, purpose, and glory is to have you return to Him pure and undefiled, having proven yourselves worthy of an eternity of joy in His presence... [H]e knows that only those who are worthy will be able to live with him." - For the Strength of Youth
Quote:
“We are now upon our second estate, and our eternal destiny depends upon the few years we spend in the flesh. We are placed here that it may be seen which law we will keep. Our Heavenly Father has placed before us the laws celestial, telestial, and terrestrial. If any man will obey the celestial law, he will be preserved by that law; all the glory, power and exaltation, belonging to that law, will be given to him” (Wilford Woodruff, The Discourses of Wilford Woodruff, p.268; see also Journal of Discourses 22:209).
Quote:
“What do the terms first estate and second estate mean in Abraham 3:26? (First estate refers to the premortal life, and second estate refers to our mortal life” (Old Testament Gospel Doctrine Teacher's Manual, p.5).
Quote:
"When mortality, or the second estate of man, is completed, each individual will be prepared to continue his eternal journey into that place which the judgment of this life will place upon him. In this righteous, but penetrating, judgment, each of us shall go into the next estate of eternal existence for which we are best suited." - Elder Alvin R. Dyer, "The Last Dispensation", Ensign, July 1972, p.52
Quote:
"And I would like you to reflect upon the fact that our children came to us with spirits that did not ask us to bring them, but with spirits, through some operation of which I am not aware, that are assigned to us; and they come to us as our guests. We are responsible for the mortal tabernacling of that spirit; and I should like each and every Latter-day Saint to get that fact into his heart, that the child which is his, or hers, comes at the invitation, virtually, of them who beget it, and then I would like you to reflect upon the responsibility which that brings home to each and every man and woman who is a parent. Yours is the responsibility to see that this tabernacled spirit loses no opportunity, through you, to prove his worthiness and righteousness in living through his second estate." - J. Reuben Clark, Jr, Conference Report, October 1951, Second Day—Morning Meeting, p.57
It seems like some Mormons are in denial over the reality that Mormonism teaches we are here to, among other things, prove our personal worthiness and "merit eternal life".

Quote:
"Each of us has been sent to earth by our Heavenly Father to merit eternal life" - Robert D. Hales, "Personal Revelation: The Teachings and Examples of the Prophets", October 2007 General Conference

Last edited by aaronshaf; 02-28-2008 at 10:28 AM.
aaronshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronshaf View Post
It seems like some Mormons are in denial over the reality that Mormonism teaches we are here to, among other things, prove our personal worthiness and "merit eternal life".
Who are you calling a Mormon, Tonto?

—Paul Auster
Old 02-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We're just along for the ride on the Wonderful World of Whimsy that God created for self-aggrandization.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

to love God with all our heart, with all our soul and with all our mind. And to love our neighbor as ourselves.

I'm may have butchered that, but you get the idea.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Really? I thought it was because we believe that stuff that we have the occasional pleasure of your presence here. One tip for you Ashaff, when you are doing your cut and pastes here, if you're trying to hammer home some kind of doctrinal point there is no need or benefit in quoting Joseph Fielding McConkie.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote