cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for the computer experts

A drunk driver hit a power pole just outside my neighborhood and knocked power out for all of us for several hours. When the power came back on my computer functioned fine except for my DSL modem no longer seems to show a signal from the ethernet card. I cannot access the internet at all. I called ATT tech support and after making me do a million things they said my ethernet card must need replacing. So I have 2 questions:

1) Is it possible the ethernet card is fine but that the computer reset some internet connection defaults that block the signal? Could my McAffee program be blocking that signal?

2) If I do need a new ethernet card how tough is it to replace one? You're talking to a guy who has never opened the back of a computer.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't speak to #1, but replacing cards is pretty easy if you are not a moron.

I define a moron as someone who will try to jam in a card backwards when it isn't fitting, and then takes the hammer, and taps it in.

But seriously, it's not hard to mess with the internals. I have built two computers on my own and I'm no computer genius. Ok, that's little bit of false modesty.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

You can get a decent ethernet card for $15-20 at your local CompUSA or equivalent. And it is probably the simplest thing to replace inside your computer. Just line up the connections and slide it into place (no jokes please).

That's kind of odd, however, since I don't ever recall having an ethernet card go out. I can't imagine why a power outage would affect that particular component. There may be something else. But given the low cost of the card and the value of your time, I would probably just try a new card if I were you.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
FMCoug

FMCoug

An easy way to know if it's hardware or software is whether you have a link light. When your Cat5 cable is plugged into both the Computer and the Router or DSL Modem, you should see a green light on the back of the ethernet card that indicates it has a good link to the other device. If you do not see this, your problem is hardware.

It could still be hardware even if you get a link light, but that's a good place to start troubleshooting.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suspect the DSL modem before the ethernet card. I have had DSL modems get fried from power surges.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea if it is your probolem, but replacing that card is easy, and I am no genius. Unlike Mike, who is truthful but likely inaccurate, that is not false modesty.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

I'm with Non Sequitur. It's more likely to be the modem than your card. Those ethernet cards are pretty tough to damage. That said, a power surge caused by the outage could easily have damaged something.

Note - if you're using a motherboard-bound LAN input, you're going to need an open PCI slot on your MB or you're going to have to remove a component currently in place.

The link pasted below will get you a card for $4. It's exceptionally easy to replace - you just need a screwdriver.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833180025
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Question - have you unplugged your modem, let it sit for awhile, and then replugged it in? That should be the first troubleshooting step you take.

After that, I suggest using a laptop or other computer you know is currently working, if available, and trying it out to see if you can connect that way. That should help determine if the problem is with the modem or if it's with the computer.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
An easy way to know if it's hardware or software is whether you have a link light. When your Cat5 cable is plugged into both the Computer and the Router or DSL Modem, you should see a green light on the back of the ethernet card that indicates it has a good link to the other device. If you do not see this, your problem is hardware.

It could still be hardware even if you get a link light, but that's a good place to start troubleshooting.
This is the first and most basic test. As FM says, if it works, there still could be other problems, but if it doesn't then the problem is definitely either a bad modem or card. The only real way to to know which is which is to plug the card into a different modem (or a router) and see if the light comes on, and vice versa with the modem.

Spaz seems to think Ethernet cards are pretty tough, but I've had a couple go bad on me, so it's a reasonable possibility. If your internet provider is capable of pinging the modem, and the link light won't come on (as described above), it's 95% chance the card has gone bad.

As Lebowski points out, they are cheap. And as everyone points out, they are easy to replace, even for non-computer people.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

The link light is indeed on. Thanks for all the advice, sounds like an easy fix whether it's the card or the modem. Here's hoping it's the card.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote