cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road
Default Michael Reed:Collie's Equal in Talent

Over on cougarboard there has been great debate in comparing Collie and Watkins, but while they were very talented no doubt, getting lost in the shuffle is Reed, who I believe to be equally talented as any WR we have had here at BYU, including Austin Collie. Yes, he may not get the notoriety and hype that Collie gets, but consider this, he is a different type of reciever than Collie:

1. I've never seen a BYU WR block as well as Reed. Any doubters should look up the youtube video of him levelling Steve Tate. While Collie doesn't shy away from contact, Reed is very physical.

2. He runs precise routes and is very assignment sound.

3. He has as good a set of hands as any WR that Ive seen here at BYU (IMO roughly on level with Collie).

4. Reed is not afraid of crossing the middle for the ball. Like Collie, he has balls and shows no fear of what the defense will throw at him.

5. Collie garners more attention because of his style of play and the fact that he gets alot of balls thrown his way.

discuss

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post
Over on cougarboard there has been great debate in comparing Collie and Watkins, but while they were very talented no doubt, getting lost in the shuffle is Reed, who I believe to be equally talented as any WR we have had here at BYU, including Austin Collie. Yes, he may not get the notoriety and hype that Collie gets, but consider this, he is a different type of reciever than Collie:

1. I've never seen a BYU WR block as well as Reed. Any doubters should look up the youtube video of him levelling Steve Tate. While Collie doesn't shy away from contact, Reed is very physical.

3. He has as good a set of hands as any WR that Ive seen here at BYU (IMO roughly on level with Collie).

4. Reed is not afraid of crossing the middle for the ball. Like Collie, he has balls and shows no fear of what the defense will throw at him.

5. Collie garners more attention because of his style of play and the fact that he gets alot of balls thrown his way.

discuss
Discuss whether or not Michael Reed is as talented as Austin Collie ensues:

He is not.

Discussion ended.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Discuss whether or not Michael Reed is as talented as Austin Collie ensues:

He is not.

Discussion ended.
I'll add to this:

I would like to see Collie in a Utah uniform.

I wouldn't want to see Reed in a Utah uniform.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

lol......Reed is nowhere in Collie's league.

Reed isn't even ALL-MWC caliber. He's good and serviceable for the style of offense BYU runs and that's it.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post

discuss
I'm glad we have Reed, but he's no Collie or Watkins. More similar to Margin Hooks but a step below.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Reed is an average receiver and above average blocker for his position.

Collie might be the best receiver to ever put on a cougar uni. If Collie avoids injury throughout his career, I don't think that there will be many people that will argue otherwise. Nobody will say the same about Reed.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:57 AM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I think that about wraps this up.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:35 AM   #8
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Reed has some nice intangibles, but Collie has more talent, and it is not really close.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:40 AM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

If Michael Reed wasn't from Texas, this thread would never have started.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:46 AM   #10
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

Wow, some of you guys need to take off those west coast shaped glasses.

To make my point let me give you an example. Harline and Coats were two totally different TE's but IMO were of equal talent. Many on here would believe that Harline was better at his position because of his catching ability, while ignoring that Coats was a superior blocker.

I think that the same can be said when comparing Reed and Collie, that was said about Harline and Coats. They present two different skill sets, that IMO are of equal value but of different use. Collie garners attention because he gets more balls thrown his way, while Reed does more of the dirty work with this blocking. They both have great hands (Reed's hands are rather large BTW), they both run excellent, crisp routes, and they both are assignment sound. Where Collie excells in the deeper route, Reed excells with the inward/middle routes. Reed also has been great at sealing the corner for Harvey and Dennis as well (though Collie isn't bad himself at blocking).

I honestly think that it would have helped alot if Anae would have had Max throw to Reed more in those routes, (esp against UCLA). However, QBs will always have their one favorite WR to throw to (see Troy Aikman to Alvin Harper). I will not be surprised to see Reed get a crack at the NFL, just like I will not be surprised to see Collie get a crack at the NFL.

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote