cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default I'm off to the coast

Tour of the Unknown Coast is tomorrow.

http://www.tuccycle.org/map.html

There is a link at the top of that page to enlarge the map and profile.

The first big hill at mile 40 isn't nearly as bad as it looks. Its the 2 that come at miles 80 and 90 that worry me. Also, at about mile 74 there is 5 mile section right along the ocean that is absolutely gorgeous, but can be brutal if there is a headwind. Last year there were 5 of us working together in an escelon and we couldn't do any more than 12 mph the whole time.

This will be my first big ride with the new bike. I've got a 50/36 crank and I put a 12/27 rear cassette on the other day. The 36/27 combo loses just the granny gear from my old triple, but hopefully it will be enough to get me up that 20% grade at mile 80. I haven't weighed it yet, but the bike has got to be 4 or 5 pounds lighter than my steel Reynolds frame.

Weather should be good, forecast at a low in the morning of 43, high of 59 and mostly sunny. We plan to hit the beach after church on Sunday.

Wife and kids are doing a 10 mile out and back ride.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Sounds Fun! Good luck.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I think that northern California/southern Oregon is the prettiest place in the country. Some day I would love to do that ride.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote