cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just heard Teryl Givens speak

DC temple visitors center

Said faith should inform your intellect, not replace it. Said you need to wait patiently, with faith, until all truth comes out.

Said that David Paulsen is the only FARMS guy to publish in a peer-reviewed journal (Harvard Theological Review). FARMS should start by examining BoM as a literary piece. That doesn't presuppose any historicity. Then branch out from there.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post

Said faith should inform your intellect, not replace it. Said you need to wait patiently, with faith, until all truth comes out.

Said that David Paulsen is the only FARMS guy to publish in a peer-reviewed journal (Harvard Theological Review). FARMS should start by examining BoM as a literary piece. That doesn't presuppose any historicity. Then branch out from there.
I like that Givens dude. He's on the ball.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Interesting. I agree on faith and intellect.

Paulsen does seem to be a cut above much of what FARMS usually cranks out. His Mormonism in Dialogue book turned out to be quite good.

I think there are possibilities in a literary approach. A Jewish friend of mine has pondered the value of distinct markers of "prophetic literature" or scripture. Plenty of people have already started down this path, but he is intrigued by connections between the prophetic and poetic.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Interesting. I agree on faith and intellect.

Paulsen does seem to be a cut above much of what FARMS usually cranks out. His Mormonism in Dialogue book turned out to be quite good.

I think there are possibilities in a literary approach. A Jewish friend of mine has pondered the value of distinct markers of "prophetic literature" or scripture. Plenty of people have already started down this path, but he is intrigued by connections between the prophetic and poetic.
is there that much poetry in the BoM though? D&C would probably be a better place to start.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
is there that much poetry in the BoM though? D&C would probably be a better place to start.
Indeed. I'd have to bring up the subject with my friend. He has read the BoM, and mentioned things like the repetive use of "and it came to pass."

I suppose the "psalm of Nephi" would be one place to go.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 06-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Indeed. I'd have to bring up the subject with my friend. He has read the BoM, and mentioned things like the repetive use of "and it came to pass."

I suppose the "psalm of Nephi" would be one place to go.
And sure enough, there is a little something:

http://farms.byu.edu/display.php?table=jbms&id=145

Old 06-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
ChinoCoug

Quote:
And sure enough, there is a little something:

http://farms.byu.edu/display.php?table=jbms&id=145
that's neat. but the bad news is, this has been tried before and wasn't peer-reviewed. the author is a librarian; maybe someone with more credibility can get the job done. Givens is good in taking the lead on this.

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 06-08-2008 at 03:19 AM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #8
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

It seems to me that if you examine the Book of Mormon as a literary work you only have two choices regarding discussion of the context and origins of the book:

1. You presuppose its historicity and examine it as an ancient text, which would probably not be approved for publication in a peer-reviewed journal, OR

2. You examine it as a product of Joseph Smith in the context of America in the 19th century (e.g. comparing King Benjamin's speech with things Joseph heard at 19th century revival meetings), which would be publishable, but is something FARMS is not willing to do.

I guess the third option is to ignore the context and origins of the book, focusing purely on the text while remaining mute on the authorship, which must be what Givens is suggesting. That doesn't sound like a very easy task -- you would be ignoring the elephant in the room (the true authorship of the book).

Last edited by CardiacCoug; 06-07-2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: typo
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:56 AM   #9
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
aha! the bad news is, this wasn't published peer-review. the author is a librarian; maybe someone with more credibility can get the job done. Givens is good in taking the lead on this.
Barbara Gordon is on her way to your house to kick your ass as we speak.