cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default McCain's clean car sweepstakes.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080623/D91FQ6L81.html

This seems like a great idea to me. Capitalism incentivized by government. I particularly like the idea of giving car makers a credit for every zero emission car they produce.

Take heed moderate democrats, some of the environmental changes you want to see will be much more easily accomplished by a moderate republican who can bring some of his party along, than it can by the most liberal democrat in the senate who won't be able to do the same. Sometimes ideas seem better when they come from your own guy.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post

This seems like a great idea to me. Capitalism incentivized by government. I particularly like the idea of giving car makers a credit for every zero emission car they produce.

Take heed moderate democrats, some of the environmental changes you want to see will be much more easily accomplished by a moderate republican who can bring some of his party along, than it can by the most liberal democrat in the senate who won't be able to do the same. Sometimes ideas seem better when they come from your own guy.
so if the inventor gets $300 million, does he keep the patent on it? If he already gets a prize, I'd say the patent goes to the government. Don't give the inventor a monopoly.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
so if the inventor gets $300 million, does he keep the patent on it? If he already gets a prize, I'd say the patent goes to the government. Don't give the inventor a monopoly.
LOL. Trade in your patent for a one-time payout? Why would an inventor do that? Unless of course, the patent is work less than $300M.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This should work out similar to inventions created with grant funding or under government contracts. The inventor gets to keep the patent but the government gets royalty free usage.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
This should work out similar to inventions created with grant funding or under government contracts. The inventor gets to keep the patent but the government gets royalty free usage.
And since the government is not in the business of building cars, I am not sure what good that would do.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
And since the government is not in the business of building cars, I am not sure what good that would do.
spinoffs into the defense industry?
Old 06-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
ChinoCoug

http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/stiglitz81
Old 06-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Interesting argument for medical patents, although I am not sure I fully agree with it. But there is no way we should eliminate the patent system entirely.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

these guys win

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...html?series=19
Old 06-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post

I don't have a problem with it. I think the next president should categorically say that it is the policy of this nation to be free from foreign oil in the next 10 years. We made it to the moon in 10, let's be free from foreign oil in 10. If it takes a prize like this (which sounds a bit like the X Prize, I am all for it).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote