cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm coaching my son's all star team tonight.

I'm sure that I'm more nervous than the kids are. The most ridiculous part is that Cal Ripken Baseball makes all of the All Star coaches wear full uniform. Not looking forward to seeing that.

I've been proud of my boy this year. He had a tryout for all stars last year and didn't make it. He was bitterly dissapointed. So as soon as the snow started melting this year he was outside practicing throwing and hitting. He was constantly outside practicing baseball. He had a great year pitching and playing first. Still lots of work to do on hitting, though.

So when all star tryouts came along again, he was the first boy picked for the team. That night, they decided to go with two all star teams instead of one, and since our Yankees had finished second, we ended up being the coaches. So the other team traded my son to us for another boy, and we play a Bountiful team in Bountiful tonight. It's all new to me, since I sucked at baseball. But my son has taught me a huge lesson about having a goal and working like crazy to get it. I'm very proud of him.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

So you're not in Little League.

My friend is coaching, and not in little league.

Blows my mind. Little league is where it is at!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:53 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

No, Cal Ripkin is little league. It's for ages 6-12. Technically, the 13-15 year olds are still Cal Ripkin, but they go by the former name of Bane Ruth.

Good luck to you runner. Just tell the kids to have fun and play hard. And as a coach, take it as seriously as the opposing coaches. If they want to 10 run you, do your best to 10 run them.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:36 AM   #4
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
No, Cal Ripkin is little league. It's for ages 6-12. Technically, the 13-15 year olds are still Cal Ripkin, but they go by the former name of Bane Ruth.

Good luck to you runner. Just tell the kids to have fun and play hard. And as a coach, take it as seriously as the opposing coaches. If they want to 10 run you, do your best to 10 run them.
Thanks IPU. We had fun, won the game 12-8. My wife said the other coach and I looked like we were going to puke the entire game.

You'll appreciate this: I went old school with my baseball pants. I figured since I had to look like a dork, I might as well look like an old school dork.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
Thanks IPU. We had fun, won the game 12-8. My wife said the other coach and I looked like we were going to puke the entire game.

You'll appreciate this: I went old school with my baseball pants. I figured since I had to look like a dork, I might as well look like an old school dork.

That is awesome. You need to post a pic of the entire uniform. In fact, I think you should post a pic of the entire team - the same pic you used when you turned in the all-star roster would be great.

BTW, there is nothing dorky about a baseball uniform. I believe this is what we're issued to wear in the afterlife.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
Runner Coug

Quote:
That is awesome. You need to post a pic of the entire uniform. In fact, I think you should post a pic of the entire team - the same pic you used when you turned in the all-star roster would be great.
I'm not sure if all the parents would appreciate me posting of pic of their son, but here's my boy and I. I would love to have a word with whoever decided to give us black jerseys. I'm hoping for night games through the tournament.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I'm not sure if all the parents would appreciate me posting of pic of their son, but here's my boy and I. I would love to have a word with whoever decided to give us black jerseys. I'm hoping for night games through the tournament.

Sharp. Armani himself couldn't design anything better than a baseball uniform.

Black unis in this heat is awful. Our league has dark blue unis and they are brutal during this time of year. When my oldest boy was a Pee Wee all star, we had to play in 100+ heat out at the Bingham fields on 1300 W. and about 12400 S. Thank goodness for lots of ice and orange slices.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

So, runner, how did the first weekend of the tournament go?

Old 07-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
Runner Coug

Quote:
So, runner, how did the first weekend of the tournament go?
It's gone well il Pad, thanks for asking. We beat Kearns 30 - 4 last night to get into the state tournament.

It was probably the least satisfying win that I've ever been associated with. The kids from Kearns were hapless, and it broke my heart. Bunch of nice kids, too. Their catcher would pick up our hitters bats and hand it back to them after every foul ball, their hitters kept handing our catcher's mask back to him after he'd chase down a ball. And they just kept trying to pump each other up even though it was obvious they were about to get slaughtered. It got to the point that I wanted to call time out and go give their pitcher a pep talk, because their coach wasn't doing any coaching. Just terrible. My wife said most of our parents were cheering for Kearns by the end of the game.

It's an odd feeling to be driving home after a win that ensures you move on, but you're actually depressed.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
It's gone well il Pad, thanks for asking. We beat Kearns 30 - 4 last night to get into the state tournament.

It was probably the least satisfying win that I've ever been associated with. The kids from Kearns were hapless, and it broke my heart. Bunch of nice kids, too. Their catcher would pick up our hitters bats and hand it back to them after every foul ball, their hitters kept handing our catcher's mask back to him after he'd chase down a ball. And they just kept trying to pump each other up even though it was obvious they were about to get slaughtered. It got to the point that I wanted to call time out and go give their pitcher a pep talk, because their coach wasn't doing any coaching. Just terrible. My wife said most of our parents were cheering for Kearns by the end of the game.

It's an odd feeling to be driving home after a win that ensures you move on, but you're actually depressed.
I been the coach on both sides of an all-star game like that one. It's no fun to win that way and even less so to lose that way.

Good luck at state. Keep up the good work and matching the style of the opposing coach is even more vital now. You might run into one of the dickheads in the St. George area, so be prepared for bad sportsmanship on their part, win or lose.