cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road
Default The Quad: A blog on College Football

Found this from Wrubell's blog...

Anyway, the guy's going through & doing a pretty thorough analysis of every D1 team. It's pretty interesting.

He's already done:
New Mexico (no longer on front page, was #64 or so)
Washington #63
UCLA #53
Air Force #52

At any rate, I think he's doing one a day, ending with his #1 team. BYU should be one of the last teams he does. It's fairly interesting.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand the Wrubell hate. Do people listen to other collage broadcasts?

Greg and Mark do just fine.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I don't understand the Wrubell hate. Do people listen to other collage broadcasts?

I like Wrubell. His excitement in the big plays of the rivalry the past two years place him a category that is damn near above reproach. His only issue is he is a Canadian. But he is from the province that has the Stampede and lots of ranchers so if we could trade Alberta for New York or Levin's town, I am way down with that!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post

Wrubell's good. Lyons is a non-thinking homer.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:27 AM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Wrubell's good. Lyons is a non-thinking homer.
C'mon. Lyons is critical plenty of times.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Wrubell is awful. Wrubell is Y'zGuy at 16.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:24 AM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Wrubell is awful. Wrubell is Y'zGuy at 16.
Nice troll.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:35 AM   #8
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I'd love to hear what you guys would expect from a non-homer . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by De-homerified Greg Wrubell and Mark Lyons

W: Snap to John. John back-pedals. Plenty of time, plenty of time, plenty of time. He's moving to his left. Shuffling, shuffling, shuffling. All kinds of time-- now the heat comes. He's gotta move to his right. John Beck is on the run. He throws behind him-- it is . . . received by his esteemed associate, Jonathan Harline. My, that was a rather invigorating moment, wouldn't you agree, Brother Lyons?

L: Why, certainly, Brother Wrubell. Clearly, the spectators are rather enthused by the events recently transpired. At least, they who are clad in blue seem quite cheerful. Care for a spot of tea, good chap?

W: I thank you, sirrah. Not too much, mind you. Oh, look-- if you observe rather closely, you may just be able to detect Mr. Beck being hoisted upon the shoulders of his comrades. A remarkable spectacle, wouldn't you say?

L: Oh, I never cared for such displays, myself. A celebration should only be conducted upon the realization of an outcome not expected, wouldn't you agree?

W: Quite so, my good man.

L: Nevertheless, I concede in this particular instance that the level of excitement may have very well exceeded the capacity of these fine young men to restrain themselves from overly enthusiastic demonstrations of relief and felicity.

W: Hey, check this out-- that piece of paper in Whittingham's pants looks like a woody.

L: Uh . . . huh huh. Huhuhuh.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:52 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I find that it's highly personal what announcer someone likes for college football.

For example, I grew up listening to Dave South, play by play guy for A&M. I post on the A&M board that I really like him, and I get slammed as a troll. Apparently if you say you like DAve South, you are a troll, because he sucks, per A&M fans.

But for me, I like him. Brings back memories of when I was a kid.

South is the opposite of Wrubell. He is pretty calm, he has a deep resonant voice.

This is the most exciting moment in A&M history in like 20 years, so this is as excited as he gets:

Yes, I despise Wrubell.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:04 AM   #10
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I find that it's highly personal what announcer someone likes for college football.

For example, I grew up listening to Dave South, play by play guy for A&M. I post on the A&M board that I really like him, and I get slammed as a troll. Apparently if you say you like DAve South, you are a troll, because he sucks, per A&M fans.

But for me, I like him. Brings back memories of when I was a kid.

South is the opposite of Wrubell. He is pretty calm, he has a deep resonant voice.

This is the most exciting moment in A&M history in like 20 years, so this is as excited as he gets:

Yes, I despise Wrubell.
Gotta be honest with you, Mike-- that sounds pretty darn close to Wrubell. Except for the timbre of the voice, which may be what you're referring to. But he sounded pretty darn excited.