cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default The Ultimate 80s Video

This was a topic elsewhere today and I started thinking of videos from the 80s, when MTV played music videos all day.

Most classic 80s videos were very formulaic and had very noteable cliches in them, unique to 80s fashion or culture. In other words, when you see these thing, you know you are watching an 80s video: a random white horse runs across the screen, a band plays in a mirrored room, band members wearing brightly colored plastic or leather outfits, smoke/fog machines onstage, lead singer has a microphone stand filled with bandanas or feathers, band members playing custom shaped guitars, etc...

If I had to cast my vote for the ultimate 80s video with the most/best use of cliches, this would be it.

Enjoy

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

No. EJ is synonymous with '70s pop. His lyrics say as much, "hey, I'm still here."

However, the video below has more spilling paint, falling water and pink booze. Plus it has '80s cut suits, a sax solo and finishes with various forms of "do doo doo doo do".

This band is early 80s UK-centric pop.

8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

This video has many of the same effects....3 panel screens, diagonal POV camera angles, body paint, interesting how both videos used that diminshing square special effect used to simulate a camera focusing in on an object.

This video also has the requisite random occurrence: why was John Taylor storming the beach with a rifle and guerrila fatigues?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:23 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have to say that for me, this video captures the 80s music video formula rather well:

It also makes me want to run out and buy more Swatch watches.

I'm going to guess that it has the first documented chest bump.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote