cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jaime Hill

After reading Hill's comments about the Pendleton issue, I like the man. Hill strikes me as a no-nonsense ass kicker. I recall his rumored direct comments to Andrew Rich about how Andrew could earn playing time after spring ball...it was in essence "son, I don't play pussies." From what I can glean it was advice that after struggling with young Andrew took to heart and the improvement seems to be obvious and positive.

Hill also seems to really have a disdain for the press. He doesn't want to talk to them and they know it. They take their potshots at him and he just continues to roll. I did find his comments about it being the HC's policy that freshman could talk to the press interesting. He makes it clear that this ain't his way it is Bronco's way and Hill is just following orders.

Hill has moved around a lot. Many coaches do. Perhaps I am giving Hill too much credit but I have been impressed with him as a coach, judging by his product on the field as I have yet to attend one of his firesides. So here is a dude that has put competent defensive backfields on the field at a very difficult place to accomplish that. So while landing Hill is an indicator to me that Mendenhall has good connections in the coaching fraternity, I think some consideration should be given to the concept that Hill might just be an asshole. Now I put no moral judgement on one being an asshole. Hill is an asshole in that he might just be difficult to get along with, not an asshole like ex-ute is an asshole. More of an asshole like SeattleUte, difficult to get along with but his value to the organization clearly speaks for himself. That seems to me the most logical reason why such a capable coach moves around so frequently, and not just moving around but from league to league to league. I think he is the type that burns bridges and makes enemies - especially in the meglomaniac community of coaches.

My point in all of this is that I doubt Jaimie will ever be a head coach. From what I can see it doesn't fit his personality, but I probably would have said something similar about Bronco before his meteoric rise to the Holy General Authorityship. Hill strikes me as similar to Chow in that the guy is in his element as a technocrat. He can coach his defense and be an asshole while a very appreciative HC runs interference to protect the great yet disagreeable coordinator. He doesn't have to talk to the press or give firesides. However, if my assesment of Hill is accurate, will his personality wear thin on other assistants and the players such as Chow's did? I think that he is in a good situation for him as he has the type of strong HC who can run interference for him such as Lavell did for Chow, but it will be interesting to see how the next few years develop. My homer hope is that Hill recognizes that he is best served as a coordinator and that he recognizes that Bronco might be the perfect HC for his rough around the edges style to operate under. They have a mutual disdain for primmadonnas and are both tough as nails coaches. I believe Hill is the principle technocrat behind BYU's successful move to the 3-4 defense and zone coverage schemes. I hope the man has found a system and home that will keep him happy for another decade. It is good for BYU to have a non-LDS African-American as a coordinator. It satisifies my desire for an apology!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Now I put no moral judgement on one being an asshole. Hill is an asshole in that he might just be difficult to get along with, not an asshole like ex-ute is an asshole. More of an asshole like SeattleUte, difficult to get along with but his value to the organization clearly speaks for himself.
Fascinating, really. Until now, the term asshole had only two meanings to me: (i) the void surrounded by the anal sphincter, and (ii) a person whose demeanor was so detestable as to make him loathsome to others and unfit for association in decent society. But I acknowledge the wisdom of your insight here, and, to borrow from FDR when he spoke of Somoza, the guy may be an asshole, but he's OUR asshole. Sometimes, a person whose behavior might otherwise be regarded as abrasive, or even highly offensive, brings so much value to the table that the offending aspects of his conduct become tolerable, perhaps even endearing.

Like you, I'm not sure Hill is offensive at all, but I really appreciate what he has done and is doing, and it is hoped he sticks around for a long time. I'm more sure in that regard about SU, but still have the same hope.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
A-Train

A-Train is on a distinguished road

I haven't heard that he is hard to work with and I think the coaches at BYU generally get along with each other quite well which for Bronco is extremely important. Under Crowton, we had Chaos with coaches under cutting each other and throwing their peers under the bus as best they could. Bronco has an Organizational Behavior fanatic and will not tolerate contention among his coaches.

As for Hill, he just is a no nonsense type of guy when it comes to his players and especially when it comes to the press. He just has no patience for guys like PK who actually think of themselves as a celebrity. With regards to Pendleton, I think he was and has been trying to send a message to this athlete who is incredibly gifted yet I believe has struggled with the mental aspect of the game.
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote