cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #1
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swift-boating McCain

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/us.../21mccain.html

The "funny name" & race issues have come out... if tangentially. (Hell, even David Duke has something to say about Obama - here is an interesting twist on the race issue: http://www.wnbc.com/politics/17131027/detail.html)

If the gloves come off, there might be an entity that swift-boats McCain on his cozy relationship with his 40 year old lobbyist "friend", something like,

"John McCain - cheated on his first wife after she'd been in a car accident, now appears to have an uncomfortably close relationship with a female lobbyist 30 years younger than him... all while his wife stays home in Arizona. What kind of Maverick is he?"

Multiple women can opine about the appearances and how irate they would be if their husbands...

Obama stays above the fray (on this one).

(God I love Karl Rove.)
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/us.../21mccain.html

The "funny name" & race issues have come out... if tangentially. (Hell, even David Duke has something to say about Obama - here is an interesting twist on the race issue: http://www.wnbc.com/politics/17131027/detail.html)

If the gloves come off, there might be an entity that swift-boats McCain on his cozy relationship with his 40 year old lobbyist "friend", something like,

"John McCain - cheated on his first wife after she'd been in a car accident, now appears to have an uncomfortably close relationship with a female lobbyist 30 years younger than him... all while his wife stays home in Arizona. What kind of Maverick is he?"

Multiple women can opine about the appearances and how irate they would be if their husbands...

Obama stays above the fray (on this one).

(God I love Karl Rove.)
thanks heavens that Bill lowered the bar so far that an active affair won't make a difference, as long as it's not a 20 year old employee. even then that would be ok. If she's under 18, there might be some trouble.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

McCain's ex has lived a heroic, admirable, rich and successful life. She has chosen not to define herself as the jilted ex. Only a singularly unheroic person would want to be defined as such. She has had presidential appointments, a succesful career, raised great kids. How despicable if 28 years later Obama's friends decide to forever cast her as McCain's jilted ex, make that the defining event in her life. And how disrespectful to all of McCain's children. I can only guess at the bad karma for Obama.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

why doesn't Obama send his brother in Africa a benjamin? The guy is living on a dollar a week. 100 bucks could be a real windfall for him.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
thanks heavens that Bill lowered the bar so far that an active affair won't make a difference, as long as it's not a 20 year old employee. even then that would be ok. If she's under 18, there might be some trouble.
Just a reminder that Clinton is a Democrat. It's ok for Dems to cheat on their wife. But a guy from the Republicans? No way.

No, if Obama wants to play dirty, it's time for a relentless barrage of Reverend Wright, Father Pfleger and William Ayers from the McCain camp. And as Mike suggested, throw in Obama's brother for good measure.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:18 AM   #6
Ma'ake

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It's ok for Dems to cheat on their wife. But a guy from the Republicans? No way.
Cough, cough.. Mark Foley... cough... Larry "wide stance" Craig

Quote:
No, if Obama wants to play dirty, it's time for a relentless barrage of Reverend Wright, Father Pfleger and William Ayers from the McCain camp. And as Mike suggested, throw in Obama's brother for good measure.
A full out fight could get really ugly.

Cut to ad...

"Senator McCain, everyone agrees you're are an American hero and your service to your country is unquestioned & appreciated..." (picture of McCain as war hero)

"But you've been in Washington a long time..." (flashing pix of McCain during the Keating 5 scandal)

"And while you've been fortunate in career & economically, how can you know what the average American has to deal with if you can't remember how many homes you have?"

"And (showing footage of McCain fumbling the question of whether women should have birth control paid for) have you been in Washington so long you can't decided what to do on a simple issue?"

(Picture of McCain looking old & tired...)

"It's time for a new era in Washington"

"
Old 08-22-2008, 01:28 AM   #7
Ma'ake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
McCain's ex has lived a heroic, admirable, rich and successful life. She has chosen not to define herself as the jilted ex. Only a singularly unheroic person would want to be defined as such. She has had presidential appointments, a succesful career, raised great kids. How despicable if 28 years later Obama's friends decide to forever cast her as McCain's jilted ex, make that the defining event in her life. And how disrespectful to all of McCain's children. I can only guess at the bad karma for Obama.
That's the intrigue in these major campaigns... which shots to throw, which to hold. I agree Obama should hold this one, as he should the race issue.

Message discipline, tearing down your opponent, being ready for the punches & counter punches, quick & talented marketing resources, wisdom at the helm... all great political theatre.

As much as anything else, this campaign will come down to Steve Schmidt (aka Rove, Jr) vs Obama's people (I haven't figured out who the heavies are for him yet). Will the tactical tradition of Atwater & Rove lead to another GOP victory? Or have the Dems learned from their recent campaign ineptitude?

Stay tuned...
Old 08-22-2008, 01:35 AM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
why doesn't Obama send his brother in Africa a benjamin? The guy is living on a dollar a week. 100 bucks could be a real windfall for him.
He'd probably just go blow it on food.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:50 AM   #9
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
He'd probably just go blow it on food.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

Words to live by. I bet Obama's Africa policy will center around teaching the people of Africa to fish. I bet he leads off with fly fishing.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:11 AM   #10
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
As much as anything else, this campaign will come down to Steve Schmidt (aka Rove, Jr) vs Obama's people (I haven't figured out who the heavies are for him yet). Will the tactical tradition of Atwater & Rove lead to another GOP victory? Or have the Dems learned from their recent campaign ineptitude?

Stay tuned...
Do you really think there are any heavies in the Obama campaign? I bet it's a very effete bunch that just love Toblerone bars.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote