cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My report on the TCU game

This was a complete and thorough beating by a superior team, in all facets of the game. TCU had a better gameplan, and looked to be better coached in all the fundamentals of the game. Now to the details.

1. Sam Bradford had a huge game against TCU. Max Hall looked confused, rattled, and small. Poor arm strength, little ability to connect on the outs. No escapability, happy feet in the pocket. I don't know what Max's final stats were, but the stats are better than the performance indicates. For example the 50 yard pass to Collie should have been intercepted. The turnovers were caused by TCU. He threw passes in tight coverage because no one was open. He held the ball too long because no one was open. He didn't throw the ball away.

2. Harvey Unga looked a lot slower in person than he does on TV. He has good vision, he showed great hands on receptions. But man, BYU has no game-breaker on the field and it really showed.

3. Brandon Howard. What can I say? No team that fields a Brandon Howard deserves to be ranked. He is small and worthless. Is he dumb too? Uncoachable? Has the issue of actually turning around to see the ball ever been mentioned to him? Has he actually ever made a play on the ball in his career? The coaches must be telling him "do not give up a touchdown on this play. If you don't, then you have succeeded." Of course he gives up 20 yard receptions, misses every single tackle in the open field, and is completely worthless. It was funny, he was guarding a guy down the sideline, and FINALLY he turned around for the ball, but when he did so, the receiver literally gained 5 yards in that moment. Horrible technique. Number one priority in the off-season needs to be to get this kid off the field and onto the bench.

4. TCU offensive gameplan. TCU lines up, BAM, runs the play. No reads, just run the play. Andy Dalton looked like a complete stud. Not because he is a stud, but because he absolutely had no fear for our D, esp. the secondary. I honestly don't think Dalton made a single read during the game. The coaches said "this secondary will not ever make a play on the ball. Just play throw and catch." And that is exactly what he did. Just throw the ball to the guys in purple. Absolutely dumbfounding to watch if you are a BYU fan. Don't even get me started about when their RB or whomever was in the shotgun. He looked like he was playing against an intramural flag football defense.

5. Our D. Slow as hell. But what is up with the calls? There were many times that I would look and we would have 6 guys in the box. 6 guys! When they ran, it seemed like every member of our D had a hat on him. It was completely "read and react" by the defense. No dictating anything. No gambling. No nothing. It was about as predictable as you could ever imagine. Jan J. looks like a fat slob out there. At the end of the game, they finally showed some commitment to force some things, but hell when you have #4 on the field, you might as well cash it in.

6. Anae calls the most predictable game you could imagine. Runs from running formations, passes from the shotgun. It is awful to watch. With our terrible D, and TCU's dominating O, we didn't have the opportunity to grind out drives. And frankly the receivers weren't all that open. The bread and butter of 2006 was the slant, and after that near pick in the first drive, I'm not sure we executed a single slant. And while Dalton was connecting on outs like John Elway, Max Hall was throwing ducks around the field.

7. Someone please let me know when O'Neill Chambers breaks a tackle.

8. The second half kickoff. Holy Shiz. I have never seen an entire kickoff coverage team get out of the way of the wedge in order to avoid contact. It was amazing. It was the pussification of BYU football on full obvious display. Wow.

9. The highlight of the game for me was when the TCU punter jogged out onto the field. I wasn't sure he was going to have to get his butt off the bench.

10. I think if BYU plays TCU in 10 games, TCU wins 7 or eight of them. It was that dominating. I believe TCU is the better coached team. And while GN mocked my predicted ownage by Patterson in 2006, this was that game that I thought might happen in 2006. Complete domination. Last season Bronco was coach-raped by Tulsa, and we see it again this year. Bronco has a lot of learning to do. Don't listen to the people who say it was just about team speed. Certainly the athleticism of TCU was a factor, but it was the schemes that stood out.

11. A lot more TCU fans there than in 2006. A lot more boisterous as well. I think TCU is a program with some institutional momentum. I think Max is very glad right now that he will never set foot in Amon Carter, as a player, again.

12. I could go on and on, but that covers the high (low) points.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

So all in all you were pleased, then?

I take it you don't chalk this up to a collective failure to heed the scouting motto.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This was a complete and thorough beating by a superior team, in all facets of the game. TCU had a better gameplan, and looked to be better coached in all the fundamentals of the game. Now to the details.

1. Sam Bradford had a huge game against TCU. Max Hall looked confused, rattled, and small. Poor arm strength, little ability to connect on the outs. No escapability, happy feet in the pocket. I don't know what Max's final stats were, but the stats are better than the performance indicates. For example the 50 yard pass to Collie should have been intercepted. The turnovers were caused by TCU. He threw passes in tight coverage because no one was open. He held the ball too long because no one was open. He didn't throw the ball away.

2. Harvey Unga looked a lot slower in person than he does on TV. He has good vision, he showed great hands on receptions. But man, BYU has no game-breaker on the field and it really showed.

3. Brandon Howard. What can I say? No team that fields a Brandon Howard deserves to be ranked. He is small and worthless. Is he dumb too? Uncoachable? Has the issue of actually turning around to see the ball ever been mentioned to him? Has he actually ever made a play on the ball in his career? The coaches must be telling him "do not give up a touchdown on this play. If you don't, then you have succeeded." Of course he gives up 20 yard receptions, misses every single tackle in the open field, and is completely worthless. It was funny, he was guarding a guy down the sideline, and FINALLY he turned around for the ball, but when he did so, the receiver literally gained 5 yards in that moment. Horrible technique. Number one priority in the off-season needs to be to get this kid off the field and onto the bench.

4. TCU offensive gameplan. TCU lines up, BAM, runs the play. No reads, just run the play. Andy Dalton looked like a complete stud. Not because he is a stud, but because he absolutely had no fear for our D, esp. the secondary. I honestly don't think Dalton made a single read during the game. The coaches said "this secondary will not ever make a play on the ball. Just play throw and catch." And that is exactly what he did. Just throw the ball to the guys in purple. Absolutely dumbfounding to watch if you are a BYU fan. Don't even get me started about when their RB or whomever was in the shotgun. He looked like he was playing against an intramural flag football defense.

5. Our D. Slow as hell. But what is up with the calls? There were many times that I would look and we would have 6 guys in the box. 6 guys! When they ran, it seemed like every member of our D had a hat on him. It was completely "read and react" by the defense. No dictating anything. No gambling. No nothing. It was about as predictable as you could ever imagine. Jan J. looks like a fat slob out there. At the end of the game, they finally showed some commitment to force some things, but hell when you have #4 on the field, you might as well cash it in.

6. Anae calls the most predictable game you could imagine. Runs from running formations, passes from the shotgun. It is awful to watch. With our terrible D, and TCU's dominating O, we didn't have the opportunity to grind out drives. And frankly the receivers weren't all that open. The bread and butter of 2006 was the slant, and after that near pick in the first drive, I'm not sure we executed a single slant. And while Dalton was connecting on outs like John Elway, Max Hall was throwing ducks around the field.

7. Someone please let me know when O'Neill Chambers breaks a tackle.

8. The second half kickoff. Holy Shiz. I have never seen an entire kickoff coverage team get out of the way of the wedge in order to avoid contact. It was amazing. It was the pussification of BYU football on full obvious display. Wow.

9. The highlight of the game for me was when the TCU punter jogged out onto the field. I wasn't sure he was going to have to get his butt off the bench.

10. I think if BYU plays TCU in 10 games, TCU wins 7 or eight of them. It was that dominating. I believe TCU is the better coached team. And while GN mocked my predicted ownage by Patterson in 2006, this was that game that I thought might happen in 2006. Complete domination. Last season Bronco was coach-raped by Tulsa, and we see it again this year. Bronco has a lot of learning to do. Don't listen to the people who say it was just about team speed. Certainly the athleticism of TCU was a factor, but it was the schemes that stood out.

11. A lot more TCU fans there than in 2006. A lot more boisterous as well. I think TCU is a program with some institutional momentum. I think Max is very glad right now that he will never set foot in Amon Carter, as a player, again.

12. I could go on and on, but that covers the high (low) points.
Do you predict a loss to CSU because TCU struggled against them? I think BYU was mentally absent last night.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Do you predict a loss to CSU because TCU struggled against them? I think BYU was mentally absent last night.
I don't know anything about CSU. But certainly, a loss to CSU would not shock me. This is a team that struggled with USU and NM and UW.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
BlueK

Quote:
I don't know anything about CSU. But certainly, a loss to CSU would not shock me. This is a team that struggled with USU and NM and UW.
we didn't struggle with USU. 34-0 before letting them score twice in the 4th quarter is not a struggle. It's called thinking you're better than you are and coasting. This team suffers from being mentally soft.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
we didn't struggle with USU. 34-0 before letting them score twice in the 4th quarter is not a struggle. It's called thinking you're better than you are and coasting. This team suffers from being mentally soft.
you must have been watching a different game. you think the coaching was great, the schemes were great, our athletes were great, our execution was great, but our mental game was "soft."

Ok.

Yes, I will grant you that we got punched in the mouth and cried like babies, but let's leave the football analysis to the experts, ok? I think Ron Paul just posted a video on his blog.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
BlueK

Quote:
you must have been watching a different game. you think the coaching was great, the schemes were great, our athletes were great, our execution was great, but our mental game was "soft."

Ok.

Yes, I will grant you that we got punched in the mouth and cried like babies, but let's leave the football analysis to the experts, ok? I think Ron Paul just posted a video on his blog.
I didn't say anything was great.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #8
DapperDan

DapperDan is on a distinguished road

I didn't see anything different in our play last night than the rest of the year. The only real difference is we were playing a team that took advantage of our weaknesses and we didn't get lucky breaks.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
#10 Reminds me of a good mormon boy who finally got to marry the love of his life after waiting for her to serve a mission.....AHHHHHHHH Sweet Relief for Brother Mike who was waiting for "two whole years!"
Old 10-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I didn't see anything different in our play last night than the rest of the year. The only real difference is we were playing a team that took advantage of our weaknesses and we didn't get lucky breaks.
This was my first game to see in person. Hence some of my ideas have changed. Like I knew that Brandon Howard struggled, but I didn't know that he was so awful that the TCU fans next to me were saying "Wow that #4 is bad."