cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
TheAzzuri

TheAzzuri is on a distinguished road
Default PG Question

Why do you think it's so tough for us to recruit a good pg? Looking back we've had some good bigs and some good wings, but really our pg's have been lacking.
We've gotten a number of (relatively) heralded recruits over the years, but few to none of them are pg's. Is it really that far out of our recruiting base?

I'm just curious.

Also, does anyone know anything about the bigs (besides Davies)?
________
CHILD DEPAKOTE

Last edited by TheAzzuri; 05-06-2011 at 11:53 PM.
TheAzzuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAzzuri View Post
Why do you think it's so tough for us to recruit a good pg? Looking back we've had some good bigs and some good wings, but really our pg's have been lacking.
We've gotten a number of (relatively) heralded recruits over the years, but few to none of them are pg's. Is it really that far out of our recruiting base?

I'm just curious.

The other 2 Harward and Austin are definitely projects. Austin didnt start last year for LonePeak, however all 5 starters went D-1 so that is not necessarily a bad thing. Ian Harward is a 6'10 kid from Orem that is kind of a late bloomer he did have an offer from Utah state but he will also be a project.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm just curious.

The reason is very similar to the same reason BYU football has trouble recruiting good cornerbacks.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:30 AM   #4
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
The reason is very similar to the same reason BYU football has trouble recruiting good cornerbacks.
Stupid priesthood ban!
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:48 AM   #5
TheAzzuri

TheAzzuri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
I wondered that...but is that really the same demographic? Maybe so.

Hey, maybe Howard or Bradley can run the point. Or maybe Scott Johnson. He makes plays.
________
HotMandy4u

Last edited by TheAzzuri; 05-06-2011 at 11:53 PM.
TheAzzuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:52 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I wondered that...but is that really the same demographic? Maybe so.

Hey, maybe Howard or Bradley can run the point. Or maybe Scott Johnson. He makes plays.
It's not just that. If you look at the distribution of most great PGs, they're from the east coast, not really a successful recruiting ground for BYU.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's not just that. If you look at the distribution of most great PGs, they're from the east coast, not really a successful recruiting ground for BYU.
I agree that this is a big part of it. Good point guards have to play with other players of their caliber to learn the game. Look at Montague. The guy couldn't nail Jenna Jameson on a Blue Lagoon set but he was about as good a pg as BYU has had in ages. The reason is that he grew up in Louisville and played ball, both in HS and summer league, with other division one players who were good and he learned to be a real pg. Taking a high school scorer and turning him into a PG is hard to do especially if the kid had no competition.

I think Jimmer Fredette is BYU's best hope for a good pg and I think he will be much like a Nate Call type of player.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I agree that this is a big part of it. Good point guards have to play with other players of their caliber to learn the game. Look at Montague. The guy couldn't nail Jenna Jameson on a Blue Lagoon set but he was about as good a pg as BYU has had in ages. The reason is that he grew up in Louisville and played ball, both in HS and summer league, with other division one players who were good and he learned to be a real pg. Taking a high school scorer and turning him into a PG is hard to do especially if the kid had no competition.

I think Jimmer Fredette is BYU's best hope for a good pg and I think he will be much like a Nate Call type of player.
Is Haws a shooting guard?

BYU will only luck into a good PG, or need to focus on finding one somewhere in the pools of deep talent.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Is Haws a shooting guard?

BYU will only luck into a good PG, or need to focus on finding one somewhere in the pools of deep talent.
Haws is very much a wing player. From what I can gather very much in the mold of Cummard. An inch shorter but thicker. I think he will have better ability to take it to the hole and play more physical defense. I think their athleticism, hoops iq and ability to make others better players are similar. Physically Lee is a bit taller and can use that length to do things that Haws will not, but Haws is thicker and that should allow him to do some things, such as attack the hoop, that Lee is not as able to do.

I think that Haws' career will be similar.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Haws is very much a wing player. From what I can gather very much in the mold of Cummard. An inch shorter but thicker. I think he will have better ability to take it to the hole and play more physical defense. I think their athleticism, hoops iq and ability to make others better players are similar. Physically Lee is a bit taller and can use that length to do things that Haws will not, but Haws is thicker and that should allow him to do some things, such as attack the hoop, that Lee is not as able to do.

I think that Haws' career will be similar.
Haws is more like 2-3 inches shorter and not much thicker. He's a wing player, but more a traditional 2 than a 3. Lee doesn't take his man off the dribble much, and Haws will do that. But Haws won't have Lee's inside game.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote