cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utah vs. BYU recap 2009

Did it not seem like Robert Anae and Max Hall were doing their best to lose the game?

Here you have a senior quarterback, who once fancied himself a Heisman candidate, playing like it was his first game. Looking at the rush, bailing, and scrambling. No, not the Tony-Romo-looking-for-a-big-play kind of scramble, but the I-don't-want-to-throw-an-interception Max Hall scramble. Again, Max Hall is the princess of BYU quarterbacks. He is a kind of royalty, but he doesn't get to use the same locker room. Your last game ever at LES, and you play like a scared girl. For shame.

Hats off to the defense, they played their guts out. They hit hard, they were not intimidated at all (Max, take note). They were fortunate that Utah never connected on some of those wide open deep routes. That could have really changed the game.

This was a win, have no doubt. But I am still down on Bronco. You have the all-time BYU rusher, receiver, and all-time winning QB, and your offense STINKS. What the hell is going on? If I am the AD, after the season is over, I go to Bronco and I tell him "part-time coaching is done. you are going to put in the same hours that every damn coach in America puts in. you are going to stop with the off-season business seminars to prepare for your PR speeches, and you are going to learn some football x's and o's. and finally, you are going to stop blaming your players. you have done well here, but it is apparent to everyone that you have plateaued, and you are not at the top of the heap."

Why is this team so damn frustrating to watch? By BYU's standards this is a fine season. But man, this was not a fun season. Not for me, anyway.

Looking forward to the meaningless bowl and basketball season. Over and out.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:15 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Did it not seem like Robert Anae and Max Hall were doing their best to lose the game?

Here you have a senior quarterback, who once fancied himself a Heisman candidate, playing like it was his first game. Looking at the rush, bailing, and scrambling. No, not the Tony-Romo-looking-for-a-big-play kind of scramble, but the I-don't-want-to-throw-an-interception Max Hall scramble. Again, Max Hall is the princess of BYU quarterbacks. He is a kind of royalty, but he doesn't get to use the same locker room. Your last game ever at LES, and you play like a scared girl. For shame.

Hats off to the defense, they played their guts out. They hit hard, they were not intimidated at all (Max, take note). They were fortunate that Utah never connected on some of those wide open deep routes. That could have really changed the game.

This was a win, have no doubt. But I am still down on Bronco. You have the all-time BYU rusher, receiver, and all-time winning QB, and your offense STINKS. What the hell is going on? If I am the AD, after the season is over, I go to Bronco and I tell him "part-time coaching is done. you are going to put in the same hours that every damn coach in America puts in. you are going to stop with the off-season business seminars to prepare for your PR speeches, and you are going to learn some football x's and o's. and finally, you are going to stop blaming your players. you have done well here, but it is apparent to everyone that you have plateaued, and you are not at the top of the heap."

Why is this team so damn frustrating to watch? By BYU's standards this is a fine season. But man, this was not a fun season. Not for me, anyway.

Looking forward to the meaningless bowl and basketball season. Over and out.
It was hard to listen to, that's for certain.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw one report that Captain Bronconi's game plan was the most conservative game plan in years, he was focused on not risking any turnovers and that meant for Max to only attempt short passes. When BYU got the ball back at the end of the 4th quarter there was no way they could drive into field goal range without long passes, so Bronco said to down it.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:30 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_13887313

I hope Max is suspended for the bowl game, for making these comments.

Not because I think the comments are worthy of suspension, but because I am just plain tired of him as a football player. He can go work in a mall and sell cell phones for all I care, do whatever he wants. But I am tired of the quarterback that the CB fatties have pined for, for all these years.

Saw Lucky, Stanford QB. He looks like the real deal. When you see a kid like that play, you realize how Max has failed to improve.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:40 AM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

And now the Max apology circus begins.

I personally think it's much ado about nothing. Watching mpfunk troll CB saying Max personally insulted the dead Joseph Wirthlin was amusing, though.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:09 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

What there is no living GA who could possibly have been insulted?

Shows how irrelevant Univ. of Utah is.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
BYUsportsguy

BYUsportsguy is on a distinguished road

Highlight video of the BYU-Utah game:
http://www.byusportsguy.com/byu/byu-...ghlight-video/
BYUsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
Tex

Thanks for that link. I wasn't somewhere where I could get the game, so I was stuck with ESPN GameCast and a KSL audio feed.

I love ripping the hearts out of the Utes. Pretty much every BYU win since 1998 has been a clutch game where Utah either had a lead or a last-ditch chance that they choked away. What a way to beat your rival.

Next year I'd settle for a blowout, though. After '04 and '08, I think it's our turn.

Here's to 3 of the last 4. *Raises glass* Eat it, Ute nation.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 12-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
Tex

Just saw this surfacing on the Internet. Alex Smith on BYU, ca 2004:

Quote:
"I really hate them. Playing in the game helped me understand. They are the most arrogant people. It's the whole church and state thing. They're the 'good kids'. We're the 'bad kids.' I didn't feel it in my gut last year like I do now."
I'm outraged. I demand an apology.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 12-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Just saw this surfacing on the Internet. Alex Smith on BYU, ca 2004:

I'm outraged. I demand an apology.
I don't. After how pathetic he has been in the NFL, with what an outrageous bust he has been, it's hard to get mad at the kid. Might as well kick a starving stray mutt.