cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vs. Nevada 2013

Although a win, this was a frustrating game. Cougs came out very flat. Disinterested. The offense was abysmal. Hill had a very disappointing game in my book. When a BYU offense struggles to score and ends up with less than 100 yards passing, that's bad. No matter how you slice it. Hill often drops back to pass, but doesn't release the ball. then ends up gaining or losing a couple of yards as he runs. I can't tell if the BYU WRs are not getting open or Hill is not able or willing to make the throws. Of course with Apo we know that he isn't getting open because he is not very good. Hill targeted Apo on one deep throw and the the DB had a good yard on Apo. Apo is the anti-7/11. Not open 24/7.

Player of the game was Jamal Williams. Great game for him. We need to face some facts here. He may be the best running back we have ever had at BYU. Right now he he has the 6th best rushing season ever for BYU (incidentally Hill is having the 3rd best season). After the bowl game, Williams will likely have had the 5th best season. I say possibly best ever for his combination of running inside and outside, power and speed and shiftiness. And as an NFL prospect. Imagine if he had an offensive line that could actually get a push.

Felt sorry for Cody Hoffman this year. We couldn't really utilize him. WR will be a big question mark going into next year. It disturbs me that Apo got any playing time at all. Meaning that we don't have anyone better than him on the depth chart?

Encouragingly the Cougars were able to take control of the line of scrimmage in the 2nd half. Still this kind of flat performance from a team that lost every big game this season is disappointing.

BYU will not be taking any steps forward until they can take control of the line of scrimmage. Losing 55 Ethan M. is not going to help. The OL seems to be a disappointment year after year. In Hill's defense, our OL does not do a good job. If they don't get flat out beat, they get pushed back far enough to where Hill can no longer feel comfortable.

Van Noy had a disappointing season. Maybe he was hurt. But he didn't look like an NFL player to me this season.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Although a win, this was a frustrating game. Cougs came out very flat. Disinterested. The offense was abysmal. Hill had a very disappointing game in my book. When a BYU offense struggles to score and ends up with less than 100 yards passing, that's bad. No matter how you slice it. Hill often drops back to pass, but doesn't release the ball. then ends up gaining or losing a couple of yards as he runs. I can't tell if the BYU WRs are not getting open or Hill is not able or willing to make the throws. Of course with Apo we know that he isn't getting open because he is not very good. Hill targeted Apo on one deep throw and the the DB had a good yard on Apo. Apo is the anti-7/11. Not open 24/7.

Player of the game was Jamal Williams. Great game for him. We need to face some facts here. He may be the best running back we have ever had at BYU. Right now he he has the 6th best rushing season ever for BYU (incidentally Hill is having the 3rd best season). After the bowl game, Williams will likely have had the 5th best season. I say possibly best ever for his combination of running inside and outside, power and speed and shiftiness. And as an NFL prospect. Imagine if he had an offensive line that could actually get a push.

Felt sorry for Cody Hoffman this year. We couldn't really utilize him. WR will be a big question mark going into next year. It disturbs me that Apo got any playing time at all. Meaning that we don't have anyone better than him on the depth chart?

Encouragingly the Cougars were able to take control of the line of scrimmage in the 2nd half. Still this kind of flat performance from a team that lost every big game this season is disappointing.

BYU will not be taking any steps forward until they can take control of the line of scrimmage. Losing 55 Ethan M. is not going to help. The OL seems to be a disappointment year after year. In Hill's defense, our OL does not do a good job. If they don't get flat out beat, they get pushed back far enough to where Hill can no longer feel comfortable.

Van Noy had a disappointing season. Maybe he was hurt. But he didn't look like an NFL player to me this season.
van Noy and Apo have played with injured shoulders.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It should still be disturbing that we don't have a better option than an injured Apo. He's completely useless.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

There's always injured Mitch Matthews.