cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holy freaky shiznits!

I just visited the Le Tour site and found out (via the Google Earth option) that the final stage will come right down my street! I think we'll be skipping church that day since all forms of transportation will be all wacko.

Could life be any more perfect? Somebody send me a Sponge Bob costume.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm jealous. Will you have a good view from your place or will you have to fight for a spot on the sidewalk?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:17 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

If I send you a SpongeBob costume, will you wear it so I can see you on tv?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Will you have a good view from your place or will you have to fight for a spot on the sidewalk?
We're already considering our options. We don't live right on the street, but it's fairly heavily tree-lined, so that would not be much of an advantage. Our apartment complex is along the Seine in a suburb of Paris, so we shouldn't have a lot of people coming out of the city (I hope). We will surely get some people from the neighborhood. Not a lot of room from our fence to the street, so I plan to get out there early to put some chairs down. I'll be able to stay all day to save our spots, having my kids keeping me supplied with food and beverages.

When we first arrived here, we were temporarily downtown for Bastille Day. I went over to the Champs Elysees at 6:00 am (about 8 hours early) to reserve front row spots for the military parade and other celebrations. By 8:00 am I was surrounded by a mass of pushing French people. I was starting to wonder how my family was going to find me and if there would be space for them. Around 10:00 am, the four rows deep of us were told by the authorities that the section we had chosen had suddenly became "reserved" space and we were sent packing. By the time the family showed up, our only option was to stand on a bench 20 yards from the street in hopes of catching a glimpse of something. As the time for the parade approached, more and more a-holes packed onto our bench, knocking my kids off despite by protests (in horrific French). By the time the parade started, that was the last place we wanted to be. We left and let the French have their Bastard, I mean Bastille Day to themselves. (Okay, that was crass and unfair and Mrs. myboynoah would not approve, but that is how I felt at the time.)

Having had that experience, I will be much better prepared. You're welcome to join us if you're in town.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote