cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need to get ready for Hotter N Hell

or HHH as it is referred to. Century. In August in Wichita Falls. Will be my 4th time. About 9000 riders.

Anyway, was riding for the first time in a couple months on the 4th of July. My knee was bothering me, so I didn't get a great ride in. But with all the basketball and weight lifting I could definitely sense more sprinting power. The wind was completely dead. And at the end of straight, I was pumping out 26mph (over a few to couple hundred yards) without nearly the effort I would have thought (esp. with the lack of riding).

Those of you that want more power, I recommend you hit the weight room. Or do other power related exercises.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you see Egoi Martinez yesterday generating over 700 watts? Wow.

Today he fell.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I have a hard time thinking in terms of watts. I think that with a bit of trainign from Pat Robertson I could generate 2000 watts.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I spoke with my cousin the other day. He is finishing his Masters right now in Exer Phys. His thesis will be the correlation between weight training and sprint times on a bike. There isn't a whole lot of research available on the topic, and the pros are mixed on the benefits of the weight room.

I'm with you though. I think a mix of weights and high intensity riding does a whole lot for sprint times and power development.

HHH just doesn't sound very fun to me. Maybe its all in the name. I went riding the other day in 90 degree heat and was miserable. give me 5:00 am and 65 degrees anyday.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:52 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

HHH was cold last year. Rain. The sort where it feels like it is about to hail. Chill runs through you.

It's a great ride. Almost completely flat. You can ride protected the entire way almost (that many people, that you can always have a wheel to catch).