cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default gaming console

so we are thinking of getting my 13 yr old a gaming console for xmas. she's not expecting it and there are other things on her list, so a $600 PS3 is out of the picture.
Question for those in the gaming know:
Is a PS2 worth getting? At < $150, the price is attractive, but what is the game prospect now that the PS3 is out there? I assume due to the price, that PS2 games will be available for at least a little while.... Or am I wrong? Does it make more sense to pay more and get an xbox or that new nintendo thingy? Are the games pretty standard across all the consoles? (All I care about is that the college football game works, i don't really care about the other games.)

Regards,
Brian
Old 11-20-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you should check to see if Nintendo supports good sports games (I have no idea). But I think it might be fun to swing the controller to hit the baseball, instead of just hitting a button.

PS2 would be the most economical. I'm sure the games are cheap, and you could probably buy them used.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think you should check to see if Nintendo supports good sports games (I have no idea). But I think it might be fun to swing the controller to hit the baseball, instead of just hitting a button.

PS2 would be the most economical. I'm sure the games are cheap, and you could probably buy them used.
Yes, I'm sure they will get cheaper with the PS3 out. My Q is how long will PS2 games be available? Anyone know how long Sony plans on supporting 2 consoles? I'm assuming Sony wants to get rid of them ASAP to sell more PS3 stuff.

Regards,
Brian
Old 11-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

you mean getting new games for ps2? it will probably dry up in the next 2 years. just a guess. but the backlist for it is huge, and you would never run out of games to play.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you mean getting new games for ps2? it will probably dry up in the next 2 years. just a guess. but the backlist for it is huge, and you would never run out of games to play.
Yes, that's what I mean.
However, you can't get PS1 games at blockbuster. (I have no idea how old PS1 is or when they dried up). So I was wondering when that might happen. That's what I had assumed, but hadn't heard what might happen..