cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default BYU fan cheapness and Why John Haddow is an a-hole

http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/m...tml?id=2321417

I've been listening to Haddow complain about how cheap BYU fans are for ten years.

This is how I see it. Consider this model.

BYU fans: 1,000,000
LSU fans: 2,000,000
Nebraska fans: 4,000,000
Notre Dame fans: 10,000,000

Let's define tiers of fandom.

Kamikaze (1%): Live the law of consecration when it comes to their team. All their time and money goes to the program.

Fanatical (10%): Drop disportionate amount of time and money into their program. Might buy season tickets even if they don't live in town.

Average (30%): Buy season tickets or would if they lived in town, watch games on TV.

Lukewarm (rest): Might go to a game or two a year, get more interested if the team's winning.

Then you thow in a break out like this:

Wealthy (5%)
Average (70%)
Poor (25%)

You get different types that will drop down $100 on a bowl game. Wealthy casual fans. Middle income fanatical fans. And even poor kamikaze types. But I really don't think it's a matter of "cheapness", it's a matter of total demand.

This means that compared to BYU:

LSU might have twice the number of people: willing to spend $200 per ticket to an event, willing to fly to a bowl game, willing to donate $1,000 to the booster club, that have a 100' ft TV screen in their home, that are connected to high rolling politicians and other famous people, etc.

Nebraska would have 4 X the number, and Notre Dame 10 X the number.

This does not mean BYU fans are cheap. It means there are less of us.

P.S. I think BYU would sell 40,000 tix to Rose Bowl at $135 a pop. This Vegas Bowl reaction should tell you that.

P.S.S. We get it Haddow. You're rich.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote