cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default Criticismss of Isley Filiaga

Those morons on cougarboard that are criticizing Filiaga, calling him a liar, etc. should shut the hell up. Either that or at least be consistent and hate Manase Tonga as well, because the situations are damn near identical.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of the people on CB should shut up about everything.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Those morons on cougarboard that are criticizing Filiaga, calling him a liar, etc. should shut the hell up. Either that or at least be consistent and hate Manase Tonga as well, because the situations are damn near identical.
Damn near identical? Obviously what you think you know is fraught with factually incorrect information or a biased viewpoint. However, I do agree with you that some BYU fans are being total assholes about this and in my opinion in shouldn't matter why he changed his mind. He has that right to go wherever he feels directed in his heart to go and I respect that.

Actually the situations are completely different in terms of why Tonga decided to go to BYU. Simply because he was told at Utah by Whittingham there wasn't a scholarship for him upon his return and that if he wanted one he'd have to wait a little bit longer. If you want an identical situation to compare it to, that would be the Brock Stratton situation. Crowton told him and his family upon his return from his mission that he'd have to wait til Fall for a scholarship and would have to pay his way for Winter semester...he nor his family was thrilled with that, so he decided to go to Texas Tech upon returning from his mission.

That was not the case with Filiaga as Isley's father met with Bronco and BYU academic coaches on several occasions and he was told that Isley has a scholarship waiting for him as promised and then they went through the process of having him sign for 14.5 credits this semester. In fact Isley received permission to be released honorably 3 months early from his mission so that he could get a head start on his academic stiuation. Why he decided to go to all that trouble to sign up for classes and get clearance to do so is kind of odd, but again, I don't begrudge the guy.

His situation is purely academic and a change of heart wrought through prayer and fasting and I respect that. Manase NEVER had academic issues, that was a lack of a scholarship issue from Utah's end, BYU offered him one that was available sooner than when Utah could get one open for him and he took it.

Those are the facts.

Having said that I don't begrudge Filiaga for changing his mind. He has that right. I wish him well until he plays BYU. He's taking the entire year off to get his academics in order and like Joseph Faifili there's still a strong chance he won't play for the Yewts or any D-I team anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually take the JC route to D-I and there's no shame in that.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 01-09-2007 at 09:16 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

why leave BYU to go to Utah? That's bizarre. Someone should check that family's house for carbon monoxide.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
why leave BYU to go to Utah? That's bizarre. Someone should check that family's house for carbon monoxide.
That, or evil spirits.

(did I really need this?)

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
That, or evil spirits.

(did I really need this?)
We're testing out a new program for LDS recruits to come to Utah...it's called "Vision Recruiting." KW, Ludwig and Gary Anderson all appear in recruit's homes with bright lights around them and suggest to the recruit that they should come to Utah...looks like we're 1 for 1...

...oh sure, and the whole grade thing too I guess.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Damn near identical? Obviously what you think you know is fraught with factually incorrect information or a biased viewpoint. However, I do agree with you that some BYU fans are being total assholes about this and in my opinion in shouldn't matter why he changed his mind. He has that right to go wherever he feels directed in his heart to go and I respect that.

Actually the situations are completely different in terms of why Tonga decided to go to BYU. Simply because he was told at Utah by Whittingham there wasn't a scholarship for him upon his return and that if he wanted one he'd have to wait a little bit longer. If you want an identical situation to compare it to, that would be the Brock Stratton situation. Crowton told him and his family upon his return from his mission that he'd have to wait til Fall for a scholarship and would have to pay his way for Winter semester...he nor his family was thrilled with that, so he decided to go to Texas Tech upon returning from his mission.

That was not the case with Filiaga as Isley's father met with Bronco and BYU academic coaches on several occasions and he was told that Isley has a scholarship waiting for him as promised and then they went through the process of having him sign for 14.5 credits this semester. In fact Isley received permission to be released honorably 3 months early from his mission so that he could get a head start on his academic stiuation. Why he decided to go to all that trouble to sign up for classes and get clearance to do so is kind of odd, but again, I don't begrudge the guy.

His situation is purely academic and a change of heart wrought through prayer and fasting and I respect that. Manase NEVER had academic issues, that was a lack of a scholarship issue from Utah's end, BYU offered him one that was available sooner than when Utah could get one open for him and he took it.

Those are the facts.

Having said that I don't begrudge Filiaga for changing his mind. He has that right. I wish him well until he plays BYU. He's taking the entire year off to get his academics in order and like Joseph Faifili there's still a strong chance he won't play for the Yewts or any D-I team anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually take the JC route to D-I and there's no shame in that.
Everything I have read said that Filiaga did not have a scholarship this semester, and had to pay his way this semester. Utah had a scholarship now. The academic issues make no senses whatsoever. He still has to attend a University and take University level classes. Look I have been to both Utah and BYU, Utah is no easier to take classes at than BYU.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Everything I have read said that Filiaga did not have a scholarship this semester, and had to pay his way this semester. Utah had a scholarship now. The academic issues make no senses whatsoever. He still has to attend a University and take University level classes. Look I have been to both Utah and BYU, Utah is no easier to take classes at than BYU.
Funk is right about the schollie, BYU did not have one, Isley came home early from his mission and BYU did not expect him to be here for this semester, so a schollie was not available. Isley failed some classes during his red shirt year and was going to have to sit out this year anyways to make them up. BYUs academic advisor signed him up for 14.5 credits so that Isley would be able to get back on track to graduation, this scared Isley and is one of the main reasons he transferred. He does think that classes at Utah will be easier.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Funk is right about the schollie, BYU did not have one, Isley came home early from his mission and BYU did not expect him to be here for this semester, so a schollie was not available. Isley failed some classes during his red shirt year and was going to have to sit out this year anyways to make them up. BYUs academic advisor signed him up for 14.5 credits so that Isley would be able to get back on track to graduation, this scared Isley and is one of the main reasons he transferred. He does think that classes at Utah will be easier.
Why didnt byu just put hiim in one of those distance learning programs they are famous for?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
An explanation that makes sense.