cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 04:21 AM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default Indurain- dirty or clean?

While riding indoors this winter I put in old TDF tapes to watch and always wonder about Indurain. He was so dominate during those five years that I'm guessing he had to be taking something. The guy was amazing on a TT bike.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
While riding indoors this winter I put in old TDF tapes to watch and always wonder about Indurain. He was so dominate during those five years that I'm guessing he had to be taking something. The guy was amazing on a TT bike.
I've always wondered about him as well. He is a very enigmatic figure. So dominant for five consecutive years and then he drops out on a stage, climbs in the team car and never races again. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that he was tkaing the stimulant du jour.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

If you ask for pure speculation, it would be consistent with Creekster, but then again I am far from having any insights into Indurain.

From what little insight I can gain from the inside of top echelons of sport, most athletes follow similar paths to ride to the top. It would therefore seem odd if the a dominant top athlete failed to follow that path.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if I believe that any of the top riders are clean anymore.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting comment by Lemond in an '86 interview:

Quote:
If I was a rider who wanted to beat him it would depend on the strength of the team. If I were a sponsor and I wanted to beat Indurain I'd recruit at least two or three riders capable of being third or fourth and have them constantly play off Indurain. I think Indurain's capable of winning six or seven tours. But [top talent] can change all of a sudden. Indurain just popped out of nowhere. Nobody would have considered him capable of doing what he's doing when he turned pro seven years before.
Coming out of nowhere and then disappearing just as dramatically, as he did, certainly sounds like it could have been drugs, eh? I always liked Indurain and it pains me to even think these things but, like Steel, I am more and more able to believe that all of the top guys are cheating to one degree or another.