cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Key to high seed is being most deserved MWC team

With UNLV, AFA, and BYU all possibly in the top 20-30 and maybe a couple teams ranked in polls, at least one of those teams will get a great seed--#6 or better.

The key to getting that seed is to be the most deserving MWC team.

AFA and UNLV have an edge on us in non-conference, but we can take this honor by.

--beating AFA on their home floor
--winning outright regular season championship
--winning MWC tourney or making it to championship game with SDSU winning, or making it to championship game with narrow loss to UNLV on their home floor

Any combination of these, would put us as the most deserving MWC team, which would put us in a great position to grab a great seed.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

In 1997, Utah was a 2 and New Mexico was a 3. (You might recall Kenny and the Lobos lost in the first round).

That just goes to show that more than one team from the MWC can receive what you call a great seed.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
In 1997, Utah was a 2 and New Mexico was a 3. (You might recall Kenny and the Lobos lost in the first round).

That just goes to show that more than one team from the MWC can receive what you call a great seed.
I always know if I need 1990's basketball trivia, you guys will step up to the plate.

I'm sure it's possible BYU could not do what they need to to become the top MWC seed and still get a good seed. But we're snake bit. We finished RPI #19 and got a 12 seed. The way to GUARANTEE a top seed and make it impossible for the NCAA selection committee to screw us is to, IMHO, become the most deserving MWC team. In that case even if they want to screw us, it will be difficult.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

The key to getting a good seed is to win, win and then win some more. Utah has done that much longer than just the 90s.

Now, with that said, the MoWest has a history of getting screwed in the NCAA tourneys with their seedings. The biggest injustice for Utah has been the NCAA's fetish with putting Utah on the same side of the brackets with Kentucky. Bizzare to say the least.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
The key to getting a good seed is to win, win and then win some more. Utah has done that much longer than just the 90s.

Now, with that said, the MoWest has a history of getting screwed in the NCAA tourneys with their seedings. The biggest injustice for Utah has been the NCAA's fetish with putting Utah on the same side of the brackets with Kentucky. Bizzare to say the least.
Well, they tried putting you on the opposite side of the bracket that one year and you STILL screwed up.

You've got nobody to blame but yourself.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:12 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Well, they tried putting you on the opposite side of the bracket that one year and you STILL screwed up.

You've got nobody to blame but yourself.
Lol, nice one.

Actually, I blame Stanford. If they wouldn't have let that game get to OT....

I just want to see any team from the MWC get to the Sweet 16.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote