cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 01:25 AM   #1
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Boy this guy hates Religion He could be Seattle Ute ;)

http://www.slate.com/id/2165033/
Old 04-29-2007, 01:52 AM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

I wonder how much he has to say in his book that hasn't already been said by Dawkins or Harris. I also wonder if he's annoyed that his parents gave him the name Christopher.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:19 AM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently suggested that book for Book of the Month but CatBlue was the only supporter.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:25 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I wonder how much he has to say in his book that hasn't already been said by Dawkins or Harris. I also wonder if he's annoyed that his parents gave him the name Christopher.
Perhaps he changed his name to Christopher from Christian.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:25 AM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I read the article. There are some intersting tid bits. I have thought that the parallels between Mormonism and Islam were too close to be accidental, and this is really the first place I've seen evidence that Joseph Smith was actually aware of Muhammad's story and claims, and was consciously inspired by them. Also, it's interesting to know that 27,000 words of the Book of Mormon come straight out of the King James Version of the Bible, and another 2,000 are comprised of "And it came to pass..." (As I recall, thanks to Brodie for these statistics.) That represents a lot of the book's girth

But I must say Hitchins' article is a rather superficial treatment, and needlessly mean spirited. The sardonic tone does nothing to bolster his argument, is in fact quite distracting, and with so much to work with I'm surprised he had to descend to the gutter as he did. Clearly these columnists gain their high falutin reputations a lot like people win high school elections.

I'm astonished he didn't address the Book of Abraham, which is low hanging fruit for this type of analysis, and in its own right the discovery of the papyrus, etc. is a facinating story. In a sense the Book of Abraham is the proverbial smoking gun though in my opinion this terminology gives undeserved credit to the Book of Mormon, in a back handed way. He missed a good opportunity to use the Book of Abraham to make his case simply and concretely. It is the only part of the Mormon canon for which we have the original document, and Joseph's translation and the original papyrus are worlds apart, of course.

Also, while he notes that 200 of the 350 names in the Book of Mormon are to be found in the Bible, he misses another opportunity in ommitting that most of the leading characters' names and place names are apparently derived from place names around Palmyra (but I learned this just today on CG!).

His reference to "Dr. Brodie", who only attained a master's degree, is evidence of a quick and dirty job.

A weak effort overall.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 04-29-2007 at 03:03 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:30 AM   #6
SeattleUte

I did smile at his comment, "Dr. Fawn Brodie, whose 1945 book 'No Man Knows My History' was a good-faith attempt by a professional historian to put the kindest possible interpretation on the relevant 'events.'" I don't know if he was trying to be funny.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I did smile at his comment, "Dr. Fawn Brodie, whose 1945 book 'No Man Knows My History' was a good-faith attempt by a professional historian to put the kindest possible interpretation on the relevant 'events.'" I don't know if he was trying to be funny.
I am guessing that he has never actually cracked open the book but is basing his entire analysis on a review or two that he has read.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am guessing that he has never actually cracked open the book but is basing his entire analysis on a review or two that he has read.
Either that or he skimmed, and I really mean skimmed, Brodie's book and that was the sole source of this article. The reason I suspect that may be so is No Man Knows My History came before the discovery of the Book of Abraham papyrus, and he didn't seize on that, as I would have thought he would.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-29-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
His reference to "Dr. Brodie", who only attained a master's degree, is evidence of a quick and dirty job.

In English, not history no less.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:25 PM   #10
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
In English, not history no less.
I think we've discussed how meaningless this is. See, e.g., Barbara Tuchman, Shelby Foote, and William L. Shirer.

—Paul Auster