cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Fred Thompson and Giuliani on abortion...

For Fred Thompson:

http://www.nysunpolitics.com/blog/20...positions.html

For Giuliani:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0507/3876.html

I can't imagine Giuliani survives news that he donated 6 times to Planned Parenthood, particularly after saying it would be "ok" if the Court didn't overturn Roe v. Wade and "ok" if it did.

Fred Thompson's statement is less damaging, but it hurts him a bit. He would have been better off to say he opposes abortion always. Instead, he said he always supports the right to choose in the first trimester but thinks it is a state matter. A lot of conservatives agree it is a state matter, but the first part of his statement is something most conservatives would emphatically disagree with. In any event, it probably helps Romney the most because now he isn't the only "conservative" running with pro-choice statements in his past.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
For Fred Thompson:

http://www.nysunpolitics.com/blog/20...positions.html

For Giuliani:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0507/3876.html

I can't imagine Giuliani survives news that he donated 6 times to Planned Parenthood, particularly after saying it would be "ok" if the Court didn't overturn Roe v. Wade and "ok" if it did.
Yeah. Giuliani's an incredibly popular figure, but his platform is a mess. He has no experience with foreign policy or defense. I'm not sure how far he can get with likeability alone.

I suspected he was lying about the personally-pro-life, "I hate abortion" thing. This is the first solid evidence I've seen, though.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Fred Thompson's statement is less damaging, but it hurts him a bit. He would have been better off to say he opposes abortion always. Instead, he said he always supports the right to choose in the first trimester but thinks it is a state matter. A lot of conservatives agree it is a state matter, but the first part of his statement is something most conservatives would emphatically disagree with. In any event, it probably helps Romney the most because now he isn't the only "conservative" running with pro-choice statements in his past.
Perhaps. I said over on Cougarboard it's time for conservatives to accept folks who have a change of heart on this issue. The only "purist" in the race is McCain ... so they'll either cast their single-issue vote for him, or learn to accept the diversity that comes with this topic.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:31 PM   #4
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP

Why is abortion such a critical issue? It's way down my list of priorities in picking a President. Roe v. Wade will not be overturned, ever, so we are wasting our time using it as a litmus test for President.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #5
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
Why is abortion such a critical issue? It's way down my list of priorities in picking a President. Roe v. Wade will not be overturned, ever, so we are wasting our time using it as a litmus test for President.
Gotta agree with you.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Quote:
Gotta agree with you.

My issue with Giuliani is not his stance on abortion. It's the fact that it's becoming increasingly clear that he's either misrepresenting himself or flat-out lying. He's been trying to take the Mitt Romney "I'm personally pro-life" approach. But someone who's personally pro-life would not donate to Planned Parenthood.

On the issue of abortion, the focus on Roe v. Wade is silly. If Republicans truly wanted to reduce the number of abortions, they would work toward better health care for young and underprivileged women.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default I agree with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
My issue with Giuliani is not his stance on abortion. It's the fact that it's becoming increasingly clear that he's either misrepresenting himself or flat-out lying. He's been trying to take the Mitt Romney "I'm personally pro-life" approach. But someone who's personally pro-life would not donate to Planned Parenthood.

On the issue of abortion, the focus on Roe v. Wade is silly. If Republicans truly wanted to reduce the number of abortions, they would work toward better health care for young and underprivileged women.
It's also why I'm still skeptical about Mitt. I'm still trying to figure out if Mitt is simply another politician that will say whatever he needs to to get elected, or if he genuinely changed his position.

I could accept a candidate that changes his position, in either direction, if he came to that conclusion thoughtfully. Rudy is trying to walk a thin line to avoid saying what he actually believes, and that is concerning. This is also why having the abortion litmus is so ridiculous. We are eliminating qualified candidates on an issue that they have no control over.

The irony is, most aborted fetuses would end up voting Democrat anyway but Demos fight vigorously to kill those future votes, while Repubs fight even harder to keep them alive. It's the one issue that actually has politicians working against their self interest.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:39 PM   #8
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
It's also why I'm still skeptical about Mitt. I'm still trying to figure out if Mitt is simply another politician that will say whatever he needs to to get elected, or if he genuinely changed his position.

I could accept a candidate that changes his position, in either direction, if he came to that conclusion thoughtfully. Rudy is trying to walk a thin line to avoid saying what he actually believes, and that is concerning.
Precisely. There's nothing wrong with changing your mind if evidence or reflection necessitates doing so. Simply changing your story is another matter entirely.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Precisely. There's nothing wrong with changing your mind if evidence or reflection necessitates doing so. Simply changing your story is another matter entirely.
What if one views the role of a politician not as one to set policy but to be an effective administrator?

I'm not saying Mitt believes this, but I'm beginning to believe that may be the most efficient selection criterion. Mitt appears to be effective as an administrator in his past roles.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:54 PM   #10
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
... Mitt appears to be effective as an administrator in his past roles.
In my earlier post I was speaking of Giuliani, not Mitt.

I have not finished researching Mitt. I honestly don't know a lot about his history. I researched Giuliani this week, will be looking into Mitt in the next week.