cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brother Jay

what think you of this article?

I thought you might want to weigh in and since you are still the Full Santos and consequently deemed uncircumcised of heart from El Jefe, your only recourse is to comment on this venue.

<http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660222308,00.html>

I like the internal focus, worry about what it is you can control. Be the master of your domain!

I like Tom's personal focus to facilitate an environment where the HCs can be successful. Tom is not born and bred in our tribe and had a miserable experience as a HC. I like his focus as the AD. He is in the details of every program, but not from a micro-managing perspective. He wants to know what it is he can do to help the coaches be successful. He is seeking to first "cleanse his inner vessell" then when he knows his coaches have every possible resource they could want, he can hold them totally accountable if and when they do not achieve success. The story about the swimming facilities upgrade made my nipples hard, it is not very often swimming stories can do that.

I believe BYU did not like sucking in football in the early 2000's. Lavell's greatness and glory kept BYU decent in the latter half of the 1990's while the seeds of future ineptness were being sowed. Norm realized it and it was manifested in his infamous "How the hell should I know?" response. When Lavell was gone and the program was exposed, BYU decided it liked winning more than losing. I hope that if BYU begins to win consistently that those who have influence do not begin to take success for granted. I think that Tom Holmoe considers himself principally responsible to ensure such complacency does not creep into the mindset of the athletic department. Heaven knows I pray for his success, as does future BYU OL Micheal Yeck.

I say these things........
Old 05-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
what think you of this article?

I thought you might want to weigh in and since you are still the Full Santos and consequently deemed uncircumcised of heart from El Jefe, your only recourse is to comment on this venue.

<http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660222308,00.html>

I like the internal focus, worry about what it is you can control. Be the master of your domain!

I like Tom's personal focus to facilitate an environment where the HCs can be successful. Tom is not born and bred in our tribe and had a miserable experience as a HC. I like his focus as the AD. He is in the details of every program, but not from a micro-managing perspective. He wants to know what it is he can do to help the coaches be successful. He is seeking to first "cleanse his inner vessell" then when he knows his coaches have every possible resource they could want, he can hold them totally accountable if and when they do not achieve success. The story about the swimming facilities upgrade made my nipples hard, it is not very often swimming stories can do that.

I believe BYU did not like sucking in football in the early 2000's. Lavell's greatness and glory kept BYU decent in the latter half of the 1990's while the seeds of future ineptness were being sowed. Norm realized it and it was manifested in his infamous "How the hell should I know?" response. When Lavell was gone and the program was exposed, BYU decided it liked winning more than losing. I hope that if BYU begins to win consistently that those who have influence do not begin to take success for granted. I think that Tom Holmoe considers himself principally responsible to ensure such complacency does not creep into the mindset of the athletic department. Heaven knows I pray for his success, as does future BYU OL Micheal Yeck.

I say these things........

Thanks, I just read the article and your post on CB.

1. I really liked the anecdote on the swim recruit and the upgrades in swimming facilities. I don't care about swimming, but it's a sign that they are serious about competitiveness.

2. I thought the point about Utah was good, too. Though I think it's silly if some BYU coaches were using hatred for Utah as a motivator or a benchmark for their program.

3. After dumping Rondo, after the Val Hale/Bateman mess, after the Skousen fiasco, and after the Samuelson/Skousen/Hale/four headed AD mess, and seeing the micromanagement that went all the way up to the BOT. Then you combine that with seeing Holmoe emasculated by going from Pac 10 head football coach to MWC program assistant fund raiser in the AD department, it's hard for me to think that Holmoe can become a strong AD that actually does anything. I don't trust anything from the AD and above out of BYU when it comes to the athletic program.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

The pool is a dump, and should be upgraded. We have several national quality swimmers looking elsewhere. There's one here on the board or the other board who is Olympic quality that seriously considered another locale due to BYU's antiquidated pool.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Thanks, I just read the article and your post on CB.

1. I really liked the anecdote on the swim recruit and the upgrades in swimming facilities. I don't care about swimming, but it's a sign that they are serious about competitiveness.

2. I thought the point about Utah was good, too. Though I think it's silly if some BYU coaches were using hatred for Utah as a motivator or a benchmark for their program.

3. After dumping Rondo, after the Val Hale/Bateman mess, after the Skousen fiasco, and after the Samuelson/Skousen/Hale/four headed AD mess, and seeing the micromanagement that went all the way up to the BOT. Then you combine that with seeing Holmoe emasculated by going from Pac 10 head football coach to MWC program assistant fund raiser in the AD department, it's hard for me to think that Holmoe can become a strong AD that actually does anything. I don't trust anything from the AD and above out of BYU when it comes to the athletic program.
I agree that it's silly to use hatred as a motivator, but why is it silly to use the rival as a benchmark? Utah and BYU both need to be successful in order to continue to get better. BYU didn't need Utah in the 80s for football and Utah didn't need BYU in the 90s for basketball, but it is different today.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I agree that it's silly to use hatred as a motivator, but why is it silly to use the rival as a benchmark? Utah and BYU both need to be successful in order to continue to get better. BYU didn't need Utah in the 80s for football and Utah didn't need BYU in the 90s for basketball, but it is different today.
The resources are not so disparate that if one can succeed, the other it too can succeed.

A benchmark comparing to UTexas is silly as resources are not comparable.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

Whether Utah is top 5 or bottom 5 in NCAA in FB or BB (don't care about other sports) shouldn't make a difference to BYU coaches on how their programs are evaluated.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The pool is a dump, and should be upgraded. We have several national quality swimmers looking elsewhere. There's one here on the board or the other board who is Olympic quality that seriously considered another locale due to BYU's antiquidated pool.
Who is it?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Who is it?
Is it your child or somebody from Southern Cal? I started corresponding with him a while back and lost track who it was.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Is it your child or somebody from Southern Cal? I started corresponding with him a while back and lost track who it was.
It isn't my child. He'd swim for BYU if he had to do it in a frog pond.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:40 PM   #10
Archaea

It was Blue Heart's daughter who signed with BYU.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/preps/ci_5885393