cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Playing with "Face Cards"

Ok...what's the deal with face cards?

I grew up playing Pinnochle and love it. I've played with face cards all my life...and don't feel like I'm evil!

So...my wife is very 'black & white' and because the Church has stated that playing with face cards is "bad"...she does not like the idea.

My take is that during the early days of the Church, I'm sure that cards were a pastime, and gambling etc. which really took the men away from home, or caused problems with losing money.

Today, however, there are so many "games" to be played, that I actually feel it is "quality" time if I can play games with my kids etc. Talk about prime time to talk, laugh and have fun with your kids.

Anyone else have similar views/problems with face cards?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Does "The Church" really teach that it's bad? I know some leaders have in the past, but I haven't heard anything over the pulpit lately.

Regardless, I don't see the big deal with face cards.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Does "The Church" really teach that it's bad? I know some leaders have in the past, but I haven't heard anything over the pulpit lately.

Regardless, I don't see the big deal with face cards.
I think there was a section on that topic by BRM in Mormon Doctrine. I am sure grapevine could weigh in here.

I haven't seen anyone bring that up since I was a young lad.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I think there was a section on that topic by BRM in Mormon Doctrine. I am sure grapevine could weigh in here.

I haven't seen anyone bring that up since I was a young lad.
Yes it's in Mormon Doctrine. Playing with face cards is a fabulous use of ones time when played with family and friends with the spirit of fun. I'm sure there will be many games played with face cards at the upcoming tailgates...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Does Mormon Doctrine say face cards are okay?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I haven't read that part since the early part of my mission, but I recall it talking about gambling and saloon like behavior that comes from it... It seemed like it was advice for those living in the Old West. It really seemed to discourage people from playing with face cards.. I don't know if BRM has ever played california speed...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

When I was in Middle School/High School....we used to play poker using face cards in our friends basements.....using GUMMY WORMS, GUMMY BEARS and pennies...that was it.

One of the kid's mom found out and went absolutely ballistic.

She called the Bishop and demanded he speak to us. She called all of the parents of the kids as if we were involved in some kind of illicit gang activity.

She forbade her 2 sons from playing with us. Of course that lasted for about a week....but good grief some of the things that people freak out over are so over the top.

This was the couple mind you who used to whip their kids with belts whenever they mis-behaved. There were times we could literally hear the kids in the house screaming when they were being whipped.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Quote:
Members of the Church should not belong to bridge or other type of card clubs, and they should neither play cards nor have them in their homes. By cards is meant, of course, the spotted face cards used by gamblers. To the extent that church members play cards they are out of harmony with their inspired leaders. Innocent non-gambling games played with other types of cards, except for the waste of time in many instances, are not objectionable." (Mormon Doctrine, p.113)
For references about face cards see the following: http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/recreation.htm
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
I haven't read that part since the early part of my mission, but I recall it talking about gambling and saloon like behavior that comes from it... It seemed like it was advice for those living in the Old West. It really seemed to discourage people from playing with face cards.. I don't know if BRM has ever played california speed...
Mormon Doctrine definitely discourages the use of face cards. My understanding was (and this is off the top of my head) was that it had to do with their relationship to Tarot cards and the mysticism that went with it.

Personally, I don't have much of a problem with it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...Innocent non-gambling games played with other types of cards, except for the waste of time in many instances, are not objectionable...
I love that little line about wasting time. This is a classic MD excerpt.