cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sad Death in Tri Community

http://www.ironmanlive.com/mediacent...other-mary-ann.

As some may know I do estate work. Last weekend a client of mine committed suicide. I've two to three clients commit suicide just this year. It is sometimes very humbling.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
http://www.ironmanlive.com/mediacent...other-mary-ann.

As some may know I do estate work. Last weekend a client of mine committed suicide. I've two to three clients commit suicide just this year.
He was so young, that's really sad. Lou Gehrig's is a terrible disease, as is depression.

At OMRF they were doing a lot of work on ALS. Perhaps someday they'll find a cure.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Is the suicide rate higher in the fitness community? It seems the depression level is high in people who were once very active but because of illness or an accident have become inactive. One guy I used to swim with committed suicide here about two years ago. He ran almost daily and was very proud of how fast we was. One day out of his bike he wrecked and broke his leg very badly. He worked hard to come back but never could. People blamed the pain killers he was hooked on but I still think he got so down from not being able to do the things he used to.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
He was so young, that's really sad. Lou Gehrig's is a terrible disease, as is depression.

At OMRF they were doing a lot of work on ALS. Perhaps someday they'll find a cure.
Even a treatment of any sort would would be a huge step. As I've mentioned before, ALS runs in my family. The prognosis is basically, "you're screwed" when diagnosed.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

My uncle is in his third year of ALS and will pass away in the next few days. Very tragic. He's trying to hold out until his son returns from his mission in 4 weeks but it doesn't look like he'll make it. He absolutely doesn't want his son to come home early (which quite frankly I disagree with) so the son is respecting his wishes. ALS has caused a horrible three years for my uncle and his family.

I remember telling him a couple years ago that I had just ridden a century. He seemed so happy for me and then said that he'd give anything to just be able to get on a bike or go for a run for even a few minutes. Told me to enjoy while it lasts.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote