cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default ALUF's real issue with Bronco

Many ALUF's have pretty much bought into their rationalization that it's okay to hate BYU and all things associated with it and still be a card-carrying good church member. Bronco's approach to recruiting and tying BYU football to the mission of BYU and the church blows that out of the water.

I'm NOT saying you have to be a BYU fan if you are a member of the church. But the unadulterated hatred of all things BYU is akin to hating the Genealogy Library, Visitor's Centers at temple square, etc. It's a church property with a church mission.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick
Default Aluf?

I see it all the time but don't understand what it means...
Old 07-02-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
I see it all the time but don't understand what it means...
Active LDS Ute Fan.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Many ALUF's have pretty much bought into their rationalization that it's okay to hate BYU and all things associated with it and still be a card-carrying good church member. Bronco's approach to recruiting and tying BYU football to the mission of BYU and the church blows that out of the water.

I'm NOT saying you have to be a BYU fan if you are a member of the church. But the unadulterated hatred of all things BYU is akin to hating the Genealogy Library, Visitor's Centers at temple square, etc. It's a church property with a church mission.
I look at BYU as the university sponsored by the LDS Church. I have no problem that it exists at all.

I agree that too may of my fellow ALUFs do display a hatred that is unhealthy toward BYU and won't defend them for doing so, but I'm also not going to waste my time trying to convince them that they are wrong. If they hate BYU, it is their problem.

I do have to say that I am able to separate church and football, so I never have any kind of dissonance when BYU wins or loses to the Utes or any other team. It's just entertainment and nothing more.

That said, I do hate one piece of church property and that would be the camp up near Oakley where I had to spend one evening with a bunch of giggling and screaming young women who think that every sound is a wild animal that is there to devour them. I think it's called Camp Headache.

Sometimes, it would be a good thing if women held the priesthood so I never have to do that again.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:01 AM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I look at BYU as the university sponsored by the LDS Church. I have no problem that it exists at all.

I agree that too may of my fellow ALUFs do display a hatred that is unhealthy toward BYU and won't defend them for doing so, but I'm also not going to waste my time trying to convince them that they are wrong. If they hate BYU, it is their problem.

I do have to say that I am able to separate church and football, so I never have any kind of dissonance when BYU wins or loses to the Utes or any other team. It's just entertainment and nothing more.

That said, I do hate one piece of church property and that would be the camp up near Oakley where I had to spend one evening with a bunch of giggling and screaming young women who think that every sound is a wild animal that is there to devour them. I think it's called Camp Headache.

Sometimes, it would be a good thing if women held the priesthood so I never have to do that again.
Ugh..that's the same camp where the second the Priesthood leader arrives, a girl trips and barely skins her knee and has to wail like she just had her achilles tendon severed and the rest of the Young Women making fun of her, with the Y.W. Pres demanding a blessing for her, then the bickering back n forth amongst the girls.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I would rather swim in a pool full or razor blades naked than ever experience the pure hell that is being the Priesthood rep at YW Camp EVER again.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:06 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Ugh..that's the same camp where the second the Priesthood leader arrives, a girl trips and barely skins her knee and has to wail like she just had her achilles tendon severed and the rest of the Young Women making fun of her, with the Y.W. Pres demanding a blessing for her, then the bickering back n forth amongst the girls.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I would rather swim in a pool full or razor blades naked than ever experience the pure hell that is being the Priesthood rep at YW Camp EVER again.
Amen, brother.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:06 AM   #7
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Sadly, as the father of 4 daughters, I suspect this something I will be tagged with many times in the coming years.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:16 AM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

My oldest brother is a Hardcore Ute Fan that lives in Murray, is a longtime Ute season ticket holder, Bishop of his Ward and He LOVES Bronco Mendenhall and what he's doing and in fact is using some of the stuff Bronco has talked about for his company for business principles and for some of the Young Men in his Ward to encourage them to be committed to living Gospel principles in preparation for a mission if they so choose to go on one.

My brother is one of those cool Ute fans.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:18 AM   #9
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
My oldest brother is a Hardcore Ute Fan that lives in Murray, is a longtime Ute season ticket holder, Bishop of his Ward and He LOVES Bronco Mendenhall and what he's doing and in fact is using some of the stuff Bronco has talked about for his company for business principles and for some of the Young Men in his Ward to encourage them to be committed to living Gospel principles in preparation for a mission if they so choose to go on one.

My brother is one of those cool Ute fans.
Exactly. Nothing wrong with being a Ute fan like that, other than the obvious mental defiency. It's the ones who literally HATE all things BYU I'm referring to.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:08 PM   #10
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just as a reminder. There is a difference between an active LDS Ute fan and "an active LDS Ute fan." In my opinion you can be an active LDS Ute fan and actually dislike BYU.

The "active LDS Ute fan" is the one who for some reason has to announce his membership and activity before he sets about bashing BYU. Somehow he thinks this announcement enhances his credibility. He then feels he is free to comment on whether the church should disband athletics at BYU because as "an active LDS Ute fan", he is embarassed by the actions of some of the players.

Like the mullahs, the ALUF's are rare. However, it is fun to accuse someone of being one even if they aren't.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote