cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Indy, your post over on CB is a classic

for effect post.

You calling out ADam or BYUnNYC for being uncivil to BYU football players who goof up.

What did he say any different than "I would rather lose games than have honor code infractions". Seems to me he is backing the fundamentalist concept. As far as football and BYU, I would even say he is venturing into the "mullah" realm.

Condemnation of those who can't follow the rules is not only civil on CB, it is expected.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
for effect post.

You calling out ADam or BYUnNYC for being uncivil to BYU football players who goof up.

What did he say any different than "I would rather lose games than have honor code infractions". Seems to me he is backing the fundamentalist concept. As far as football and BYU, I would even say he is venturing into the "mullah" realm.

Condemnation of those who can't follow the rules is not only civil on CB, it is expected.
And friend you don't think for one moment, Adam is posting caricatures so that the rather lose than win philosophy is ridiculed?
Old 07-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
And friend you don't think for one moment, Adam is posting caricatures so that the rather lose than win philosophy is ridiculed?
Is he? He's pretty committed to it, if he is. Maybe he is. Adam?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
No I actually don't. I have read his posts for many years. I am doing this from memory, but he has the typical liberal thought pattern when it comes to BYU too.

He want the players to be choir boys and he wants to win in the worst way. Somehow he thinks that is possible. At least that is what I remember from the scandal days.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
No I actually don't. I have read his posts for many years. I am doing this from memory, but he has the typical liberal thought pattern when it comes to BYU too.

He want the players to be choir boys and he wants to win in the worst way. Somehow he thinks that is possible. At least that is what I remember from the scandal days.

This is not a liberal viewpoint. This is a very extreme conservative viewpoint. I haven't paid close attention to Adam's posts, but what I have recently it does seem conflicting. Liberal in most views but the exact opposite towards the HC and football program. Maybe it's just an anti-BYU/anti-LDS establishment thing.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
This is not a liberal viewpoint. This is a very extreme conservative viewpoint. I haven't paid close attention to Adam's posts, but what I have recently it does seem conflicting. Liberal in most views but the exact opposite towards the HC and football program. Maybe it's just an anti-BYU/anti-LDS establishment thing.
Here is what I mean by a liberal viewpoint. Believing in an end objective and believing unrealistic options will get you there.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
jay santos

Quote:
Here is what I mean by a liberal viewpoint. Believing in an end objective and believing unrealistic options will get you there.
Hmmm. So you just think liberals are all totally unrealistic?

As opposed to conservatives thinking they'll balance the budget by cutting taxes and spending more?
Old 07-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You mean like democratizing Iraq?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #9
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
You mean like democratizing Iraq?
Actually I had in mind something like if we were nice to the Islamic Fundamentlists they would leave us alone. Or maybe it was our fault we were attacked because of the way we (the US) treats others.

Or like taking one in the butt really doesn't hurt.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #10
Whitney64

Whitney64 is on a distinguished road
Cool Hmmmm Liberal vs Conservative, etc.

All these labels. Sometimes I wonder about labels. Why do we get into them?

Active vs. inactive?
Member vs. Non-member?
Born under the covenenant vs. gentile?
Molly Mormon vs. Jack Mormon?
Lamanite, Black, White?
Yewt vs. Cougar?

Sometimes I think labels help us to feel superior to people simply because we decide to view life differently from each other. Differences are good to an extent. Creativity flourishes when there are differences among us. We want to be a part of the big group and whatever ig group we belong to is apparently the correct one and if someone choses the incorrect group; well then he/she is condemned so easily.

I keep thinking aout groups and how we got to this place where people are so easily divided up and seperated. Governments do it so well, probably because people form them and then ask them to divide people up for profit and power.

Need a deamon? Then you must have one! So you find yourself a local adulteress and bring her to the circle, cast her before the Lord, bring some casting stones.

I for one think that GOD often gives us commandments not just for our improvement, but also to see how tolerant we will be of those who are not yet ready to live a certain way, or why? Purportedly righteous LIVING can be a test of character as much as inner spiritual strength. Sin comes in many forms, adultery, self-superiority. To me they are sin, therefore equal. The Savior didn't seem to have much difficulty traveling amongs the most saintly folks as well as the not-so-saintly, many of THEM viewed by the world as the most heinous of sinners. He seemed to love everyone. Why? Hmmmm, maybe because all of us were organized and created as his handiwork to begin with.

Maybe we were sent here mostly to learn to love one another in spite of our differences, frailties, failures. When asked if the man born blind was so cursed because of his own pre-mortal works or the works of his parents (a common misbelief in those days) the Savior responded that his blindness was brought forth for the very moment in time when the Glory of God could be revealed (through his healing by the Savior). I've used laels in the past too. I was wrong too. Reading this thread helped me realize this. But I wonder, is this division amongst people that should be friends for the Glory of God? If not then for whose glory?

I for one think HC violations should be kept private and expulsions of non-members minimized whenever possible. Is the kingdom of God really in jeapordy here? EVERY human being falls short of God's glory (God's Honor Code).

I for one believe that GOD is way more loving and caring and concerned over the progress of his creation than we are for each other. I believe he's far more inclined to ask those among you with stones to withdraw when you have ill feelings towards one another. The men who were about to cast stones at the adulteress were viewd by GOD and HIS SON as far more heinous sinners than the woman who committed un-chaste acts. Her he forgave immediately and asked that she sin no more.

Notice OUR GOD searches for us (the Lost Coin, the Lost Sheep). OUR GOD gives the same penny to those hired in the 11th hour as those hired to work in the heat of the day. I am glad GOD sees us for our potential whether we be blind and begging, or can run a 4.45- 40. Forgiveness never corrupts us. It seems self-righteous condemnation does.

People will make mistakes, sometimes embarrassing errors that even touch us, our lives, businesses or our beloved University. How we deal with those mistakes brings an even greater light or illuminates uglier shadows within our hearts before the Lord.

Last edited by Whitney64; 07-15-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Whitney64 is offline   Reply With Quote