cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2008, 05:57 AM   #21
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
so collie should have been penalized on his td? I don't think so. I know it is technically a rule but it is not consistently applied.
I guarantee you that Bronco would not have complained had they not called it. But it was not an outrageous call given the rules. And it's a moot point since we smothered the PAT attempt. There is no way your can argue that the kicker needed a lower trajectory for PAT attempt from the 18 yd line.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #22
TheAzzuri

TheAzzuri is on a distinguished road

Again, I think the guy made the right call. It's the rule that blows. Celebrations should never be called unless it's demeaning to the other team. I don't really even care if they're orchestrated.

I'm much more concerned about the performance of our D.
________
COACH HANDBAGS

Last edited by TheAzzuri; 05-06-2011 at 11:49 PM.
TheAzzuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #23
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
collie didn't hand the ball to the ref on his td. He spiked it through his legs. It would have been wrong to flag him too.
Except that he didn't spike it, he did the drop between his legs like plenty of college players do (thus leaving it near the dead-ball spot like the rule says), which is never flagged as a spike. A spike is the hard throw to the ground like they do in the NFL, which if done in college would get a flag.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:07 AM   #24
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Except that he didn't spike it, he did the drop between his legs like plenty of college players do (thus leaving it near the dead-ball spot like the rule says), which is never flagged as a spike. A spike is the hard throw to the ground like they do in the NFL, which if done in college would get a flag.
lol he threw it though his legs which was nowhere near the dead ball spot. It should not have been flagged but it was technically against the rules... just as Lockers throw behind the head. There is no way that they should have called that on Locker but like I said earlier that was not the reason that BYU won the game. The reason BYu won was that they blocked the kick.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:11 AM   #25
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
lol he threw it though his legs which was nowhere near the dead ball spot. It should not have been flagged but it was technically against the rules... just as Lockers throw behind the head. There is no way that they should have called that on Locker but like I said earlier that was not the reason that BYU won the game. The reason BYu won was that they blocked the kick.
Question. If Locker threw the ball behind his head, then how did it hit him (or a player in front of him) in the head?
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:14 AM   #26
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudphudCoug View Post
Question. If Locker threw the ball behind his head, then how did it hit him (or a player in front of him) in the head?
He threw it up behind his head. I don't dispute that he threw it up. Everyone is saying a rule is a rule. He did technically break a rule... the same rule tat Collie broke and I would have been pissed if they called it on Collie. I can understand why Husky fan is pissed. That being said a block is a block and the refs did not win that game for us despite their bad decision to throw the flag
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:23 AM   #27
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He threw it up behind his head. I don't dispute that he threw it up. Everyone is saying a rule is a rule. He did technically break a rule... the same rule tat Collie broke and I would have been pissed if they called it on Collie. I can understand why Husky fan is pissed. That being said a block is a block and the refs did not win that game for us despite their bad decision to throw the flag
Love how Willingham implied that BYU broke a rule on the block:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...0_uwfb070.html

Quote:
Later, Willingham told a reporter that a penalty could have been called on the blocked kick.

"It happened so quickly, but it looked like the pressure came right up the middle," Willingham said. "And my concern would be that there's a rule that says you can't touch the center until after one second. So it will be interesting to see exactly what happened on that play."
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote