cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Funk is right about the schollie, BYU did not have one, Isley came home early from his mission and BYU did not expect him to be here for this semester, so a schollie was not available. Isley failed some classes during his red shirt year and was going to have to sit out this year anyways to make them up. BYUs academic advisor signed him up for 14.5 credits so that Isley would be able to get back on track to graduation, this scared Isley and is one of the main reasons he transferred. He does think that classes at Utah will be easier.
Look now Utes, when I point out that the fact that Chris Keomatu came to Utah as a prop 48 non-qualifier, was able to miraculously turn around his academic performance at the U of U and graduate in 4 years, then score a fabulous 7 on his Wonderlic and all of this might indicate that the academic requirements at that fabled reeeeesearch torture chamber are less than daunting, don't argue with me. Clearly the perception that any drooling dolt willing to sit in class, who also happens to be a great defensive lineman, will be given a passing grade for warming a seat won you folks a prized recruit.

I say shake it, shake it like a polaroid picture......
Old 01-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Why didnt byu just put hiim in one of those distance learning programs they are famous for?
My understanding is that the NCAA no longer recognizes those courses for athletes trying to qualify. I could be wrong but I thought I read that in an article about the LT in Michael Lewis' Blindside book. He used the courses in HS.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Look now Utes, when I point out that the fact that Chris Keomatu came to Utah as a prop 48 non-qualifier, was able to miraculously turn around his academic performance at the U of U and graduate in 4 years, then score a fabulous 7 on his Wonderlic and all of this might indicate that the academic requirements at that fabled reeeeesearch torture chamber are less than daunting, don't argue with me. Clearly the perception that any drooling dolt willing to sit in class, who also happens to be a great defensive lineman, will be given a passing grade for warming a seat won you folks a prized recruit.

Well we all know that Luke Staley was known for his abilities to get through those remedial math classes. Plus as Mormon Red Death points out, you are well known for your distance learning classes used to get them at risk athletes qualified.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

You're being unfair to all here who weren't smart enough to get into West Point. And I should know, I went to Marist.

Still, I don't care if he got in because it's easier in class at Utah. The point is, he's now a Ute when he used to be a Cougar.

I believe a round of "neener, neener" is in order for us Utah fans.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #15
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Listening to either side use the worthiness card or the academic excellence card is nauseating and boring. It's football and basketball--it's not elder's quorum and it's not calculus class. I really don't give a crap about what who said or did or did not or flunked what. The rules are the rules and both teams have the players that are allowed by the rules.

Mpfunk, may I sumit to you and other Utes that the "idiots" that are saying crap about Filiaga or Ratliff or KW or whatever else are doing so to get under your skin. So my advice is to not let them get under your skin.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #16
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Well we all know that Luke Staley was known for his abilities to get through those remedial math classes. Plus as Mormon Red Death points out, you are well known for your distance learning classes used to get them at risk athletes qualified.
I was in Norm Nemrow's famed Intro to Accounting class and supposedly Staley was in one of the sections that semester and had just bombed a midterm. Nemrow told our section that he would allow Staley to retake the exam if we all voted in approval. The motion passed with about 800 hands in the air. I don't know if Norm was joking or not as how it was hard to distinguish truth from legend in his stories.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #17
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Funk is right about the schollie, BYU did not have one, Isley came home early from his mission and BYU did not expect him to be here for this semester, so a schollie was not available. Isley failed some classes during his red shirt year and was going to have to sit out this year anyways to make them up. BYUs academic advisor signed him up for 14.5 credits so that Isley would be able to get back on track to graduation, this scared Isley and is one of the main reasons he transferred. He does think that classes at Utah will be easier.
From what I've observed, this seems like the most logical route.

1) Isley wanted to be wanted. He was a bit of a 'loner' before at BYU, and it didn't appear that he had many friends on the team pre-mission. I would bet that with Utah showing him some love post-mission and BYU uncertain about giving him a scholly right away, the decision to go to Utah became easier.

2) If Isley isn't qualified (is it THAT hard to get better than a 1.0 at BYU?) then I would think that he's looking into going the route that he perceives is the easiest to get qualified and stay that way. Getting a 1.0 at BYU would lead me to think that he's imagining that the U will be easier.

Ultimately though, this boils down to performance on the field. I do not think Isley is a better prospect than Russell Tiavelea, and, while it may hurt our depth a bit, the loss isn't that big of a one. At least not in my opinion.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #18
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Everything I have read said that Filiaga did not have a scholarship this semester, and had to pay his way this semester. Utah had a scholarship now. The academic issues make no senses whatsoever. He still has to attend a University and take University level classes. Look I have been to both Utah and BYU, Utah is no easier to take classes at than BYU.
I stand corrected. Cougjunkie is correct.